Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

White Coat on Tongue, Hair like papillae
    rwolfrum31 posted:
    So for almost the past two weeks I have had enlarged taste buds, and now I'm starting to get a white coat on my tongue. I had unprotected sex about a month ago and I am terrified that it might an STD. I have been panicking since the incident that I have some sort of STD, and then I got this in my mouth. I have tested for everything with by OBGYN, and so far everything is negative. I have never had unprotected sex before, and it was a one night stand. I am so scared I might have contracted something. I've research online that this could be thrush, which could be HIV. I took an HIV test, 10 days after the incident, and it came back negative. I know that is not conclusive. I also have PCOS and had my blood sugar tested. My insulin levels were elevated. I read that thrush can be because of HIV, and sometime Diabetes, or hormonal imbalances. I have a huge hormonal imbalance, and with the elevated blood sugar levels, I don't know if I have diabetes. I have slight pain on my tongue, which may have gotten worse because I have picked at it. I have bought acidophilus pills to help, and garlic tablets. They don't seem to be working. I showed my Dr. my tongue and she said it could be entirely unrelated to my one-night-stand. Are there any experts out there who know what this is? I have another appointment with my Dr. on Wednesday. I will bring this up with her again. What else could this be? Geographic tongue?

atti_editor responded:
    Hi rwolfrum31,

There are a number of things that can cause your tongue to have a white coating. Here is a slideshow of the top problems in your mouth that you might want to look through. In addition to thrush, lichen planus and geographic tongue can also cause your tongue to have a white appearance. Please let us know what you find after your next doctors appointment.

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website