Skip to content
White Coat on Tongue, Hair like papillae
rwolfrum31 posted:
So for almost the past two weeks I have had enlarged taste buds, and now I'm starting to get a white coat on my tongue. I had unprotected sex about a month ago and I am terrified that it might an STD. I have been panicking since the incident that I have some sort of STD, and then I got this in my mouth. I have tested for everything with by OBGYN, and so far everything is negative. I have never had unprotected sex before, and it was a one night stand. I am so scared I might have contracted something. I've research online that this could be thrush, which could be HIV. I took an HIV test, 10 days after the incident, and it came back negative. I know that is not conclusive. I also have PCOS and had my blood sugar tested. My insulin levels were elevated. I read that thrush can be because of HIV, and sometime Diabetes, or hormonal imbalances. I have a huge hormonal imbalance, and with the elevated blood sugar levels, I don't know if I have diabetes. I have slight pain on my tongue, which may have gotten worse because I have picked at it. I have bought acidophilus pills to help, and garlic tablets. They don't seem to be working. I showed my Dr. my tongue and she said it could be entirely unrelated to my one-night-stand. Are there any experts out there who know what this is? I have another appointment with my Dr. on Wednesday. I will bring this up with her again. What else could this be? Geographic tongue?

atti_editor responded:
Hi rwolfrum31,

There are a number of things that can cause your tongue to have a white coating. Here is a slideshow of the top problems in your mouth that you might want to look through. In addition to thrush, lichen planus and geographic tongue can also cause your tongue to have a white appearance. Please let us know what you find after your next doctors appointment.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website