Skip to content
kw10224 posted:
I sleep with my mouth open and grind my teeth, biting my cheeks and tongue frequently. I have found an over the count teeth guard that is now helping, but before I did, I bit a piece of the underside of my tongue off. It seems to be taking a while to heal. I still irritate it at night when it hits my lower teeth while I do my grinding. I'm not biting because of the guard. Is this normal or should I see a dentist/doctor?
atti_editor responded:
Hi kw10244,

Here is an answer to a similar question answered by one of our experts in WebMD Answers :

"DO NOTHING. The guideline in the mouth is simple...two weeks. If it goes away in two weeks by itself, no action is needed. If not, go see a dentist."

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

steffanymohan responded:
Some people have a tendency to bite their tongue while speaking or eating food, and find that the resulting blood flow, while not excessive, does not stop for quite some time. Sucking on an ice cube is the easiest thing to do. Chewing on some sugar free gum would serve a similar purpose.

Helpful Tips

mouth blisters could be...
related to"valley fever" or a form of bacteria like mold spores can cause mouth blisters/sores in the roof of your mouth. Check out ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website