Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tongue
kw10224 posted:
I sleep with my mouth open and grind my teeth, biting my cheeks and tongue frequently. I have found an over the count teeth guard that is now helping, but before I did, I bit a piece of the underside of my tongue off. It seems to be taking a while to heal. I still irritate it at night when it hits my lower teeth while I do my grinding. I'm not biting because of the guard. Is this normal or should I see a dentist/doctor?

atti_editor responded:
Hi kw10244,

Here is an answer to a similar question answered by one of our experts in WebMD Answers :

"DO NOTHING. The guideline in the mouth is simple...two weeks. If it goes away in two weeks by itself, no action is needed. If not, go see a dentist."

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Atti

steffanymohan responded:
Some people have a tendency to bite their tongue while speaking or eating food, and find that the resulting blood flow, while not excessive, does not stop for quite some time. Sucking on an ice cube is the easiest thing to do. Chewing on some sugar free gum would serve a similar purpose.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website