Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bit lip ~8 weeks ago, won't heal
An_256825 posted:
I bit my lower lip quite badly (on a beef rib!) almost two months ago, and it won't heal.

I know this probably wasn't smart, but when I saw that the lump wasn't healing, I poked it with a sterilized needle thinking I could drain it, and nothing came out but blood (and it didn't feel like a blood blister popping, but rather that I was making new damage to the tissue). However, usually after I did this, the swelling seemed to go down a bit.

Then I would, inevitably, bite it again - it's hard not to. Then I'd poke at it again and sometimes yellow, very gelatinous stuff would come out (that didn't smell bad).

So, I'm pretty sure I should see a doctor at this point to get the frickin' thing out (it's driving me crazy) but I live in a very small town with no good health care, and I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to the nearest city. I would like to know if I need to make an appointment with my dentist, or with my PCP - who is more likely to be able to help me on the first visit, so that I can avoid having to make this drive tons of times? Or should I try to get my PCP to immediately make a referral to an ENT?

Take the Poll

Who should I see?
  • Dentist
  • PCP
  • ENT
vote
View Poll Results

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I think that a referral to an ENT would be best to get to the bottom of your problem most quickly. You might call your PCP and ask if they would recommend you get this referral or just come into their office. ENTs have extensive training in this area, so it is more likely that they will be able to best help with your problem. However, it will most likely be easier to make an appointment with your PCP, so if you feel that this problem is one that needs immediate attention your doctor may be your first choice. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

banzai555 replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks. Unfortunately my doctor can't get me in for two weeks (!!!) so I've got to live with this thing for a little while longer...and then he'll just refer me to an ENT, probably, and I'll have to wait some more (and then drive 100 miles to get to the doctor).

Really trying to resist the urge to take a scalpel to it myself. Don't worry, I won't.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website