Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe pain 5 days after root canal
cathy193 posted:
I was having two teeth #30 and 31 prepped for crowns because the teeth had broke due to large silver fillings. I had pain for three weeks after the crown prep and it was determined that tooth 30 needed root canal. The root canal was performed and I was still having severe pain. Two weeks later it was determined that tooth 31 now needed root canal and at that time the dentist finished the root canal on tooth 30. As soon as numbness went away I had severe pain. Five days later and I am still having severe pain that wakes me up at night. Taking 800 mg Advil and that only takes pain away for about two hours. I can not eat any solids because if the smallest piece of food gets near those teeth and I bite on it I go through the roof with pain. I am talking about something as soft as scrambled eggs! I have been in touch with my dentist and he tells me this is normal. I have had six other root canals in my life all by endontists and never had any pain after. I really feel like something is wrong with these teeth! Please help with any suggestions!

atti_editor responded:
Hi cathy193,

Some sensitivity is normal following a root canal due to tissue inflammation -- especially if there was an infection prior to the procedure. However, if this pain persists or is severely affecting your day-to-day activities, it would be a good idea to go back to the dentist for evaluation (or perhaps get a second opinion if you feel there is something wrong but your dentist does not). This article has some information on complication of a root canal that could lead to an infection. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

steffanymohan responded:
It's normal to experience some discomfort for several days after a root canal appointment, especially when chewing. To control discomfort, take pain medication as recommended. If antibiotics are prescribed, continue to take them for the indicated length of time, even if all symptoms and signs of infection are gone. In case of severe pain, consult dentist immediately.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website