Skip to content
Random lip swelling?!
jasian posted:
Hello!

A couple of years ago I went out for drinks with a few friends. I ordered a hefeweizen and shortly after my top lip swelled. After that I stopped drinking that. No more swollen lip!

About a year later I went to another bar and ordered a mint julep. This time my bottom lips swelled. I thought it may have been the metal cup it was served in consisted of something I was allergic to. I've heard of developing allergies so I thought I may have.

A few months after that I went to a restaurant and ordered a slice of pizza and a salad. About 15 minutes later my bottom lip to the side swelled. I assumed it may have been a wheat thing. All of the swelling has been going away by the next day.

I tried pizza again soon after to test this theory. Nothing.

Last week (06/2014) out of nowhere it began to swell again. This time top left lip. Today (6/17/2014) around noon my bottom right lip started to feel irritated so I kept a mental note. This evening I went out for dinner and a beer and now my entire bottom lip and upper right lip is swollen. I thought I figured it out but now it's more frequent and random. I have no idea what the cause is. Anyone else experience this?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

atti_editor responded:
Hi jasian,

Have you seen an allergist to try to determine what is causing this allergy? Here is an older post from this community that is very similar to yours. The tips given by other members may help you narrow down what is causing your swelling. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

jasian replied to atti_editor's response:
Thanks Atti!

I haven't seen one yet, but my lip swelled again the other night (7/1-2). I went out for Korean BBQ then it happened and stayed longer this time. I'm waiting for Insurance to kick in before I head over to an allergist. I took Benadryl and it seemed to work ok. I'm back to normal now (7/3) but I'm still skeptical that it may come back any moment to haunt me.

The link you posted was a great help, thank you!

Jason

cholista responded:
Hey for a week now my lips have been red swollen an burning at one point little blisters idk whats wrong wit to the er they was unsure too.. maybe an allergy or sun but i been taking benedryl. Any suggestion so uncomfortable an in pain?

atti_editor replied to jasian's response:
I'm glad that the information helped, and that Benadryl seems to alleviate your symptoms!

atti_editor replied to cholista's response:
Cold sores are a group of small blisters on the lip and around the lip that often cause the skin around the blisters to be red, swollen, and sore. Here is some more information . Do you think that this could be what is causing your symptoms? Have you been to your doctor to have your lips looked at? These blisters generally break open and disappear in anywhere from several days to two weeks. If they are cold sores, there are some creams, ointments and pills that could help alleviate symptoms. Speaking with your doctor is the best first step. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

steffanymohan replied to atti_editor's response:
Drink as much water as possible is a good way to get rid of allergy symptoms. Water promotes a good immune system, making it easier for you to walk outside on allergy attack. While the condition can vary from person to person, there are a lot of different ways you can reduce the intensity of occurance of symptoms.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website