Skip to content
ROOT CANAL PAIN YEARS AFTER TREATMENT
An_258558 posted:
I had a root canal performed on my front tooth about 5 years ago. Since then it has been fairly sensitive and painful on occasion. I have recently started a home teeth whitening treatment from my dentist and the tooth has been throbbing badly as a result. The pain is all over and sensitive when touched.

Is this normal? If not how can I treat it?

steffanymohan responded:
If the pain still persists even after your root canal treatment, this indicates that the treatment has not been successful. Some signs of failed root canal treatment includes tooth pain and tenderness or swelling in the gums and near the tooth. Avoid chewing sticky foods and hard substances. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water to reduce pain and swelling. And consult a dentist immediately.

yanksfan4life responded:
This happened to me. Years ago when I was 16 I had a bad tooth ache. I had a root canal it was a wisdom tooth and I was ok I thought.

Then a few days later the worst pain I had ever had up to then. Went back to my DDS he gave me anti biotic. It started to clear up but would always come back. after my 2nd Rx I saw an endodontics guy and a periodontist neither could figure out what was wrong.

Eventually it stopped hurting and I learned to live with it. Fast forward to last year I am forty two and the tooth came apart on me and a funky metal blob came out and it never abscessed again. I'm allergic to lots of metals and think there is a link there that the DDS was not aware of in 1989. needless to say I had the tooth pulled when it broke but not before I got a horrible infection and ended up at the ER and oral surgeon.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website