Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dental implant
LindaG1953 posted:
Curious.....From start to finish, with extraction and bone graft, Implant done, what was your time period. I am wearing a flipper and not sure how much longer of this that I can take. Appreciate any feedback.

xring responded:
When my (former) dentist unsuccessfully tried to talk me into an implant instead of a bridge, he explained the procedure & time period in detail:

First visit, cut flap in gum, install implant, wait 3-6 months for "oseointegration" which means bone forming around the titanium screw (implant)

Second visit, reopen flap, install crown on implant (if all is well).

nobarking responded:
Due to my own issues with implants, I've worked hard on a consumer article about them that everyone considering implants should read. Implants really are the best method of tooth replacement for the long haul. Just ask anyone with a bridge how much fun they are having. But... there are safety and time issues unless you are one of the very rare patients for whom "immediate function" is indicated. Kindly refer to my article, which i am keeping up to date:

www.scribd.com/doc/9943517/Dental-Implants

Comments welcome.

_swank_ responded:
I just had a permanent bridge put in. There's a little extra work involved with cleaning but other than that I couldn't be happier. It fits perfectly and isn't noticeable by anyone, including me.

FoxyMimi responded:
From start to finish...depends on your individual case, I'm in the middle of the process, started it in July'08, should be over around September'09. ..with the crowns in place...

My surgeon said that all this takes about 14-18 months. Hope this helps!

redbird95 responded:
Timetable for an Implant: I am in the middle of an implant now. First they did the bone grafting (following the extraction) and that must heal (4-6 months). Next the impression is taken and the implant (putting in the metal piece) is inserted and that needs to heal (4-6 months). When it is all healed, the crown is placed/set on the implant. Looks like 8-12 months if all goes well for mine. Good luck! p.s. Worth noting that not all implants require bone grafting.

Bdurdin responded:
I feel your pain...I wore a flipper for years, and I'm very glad to have it out of my life. I started the process in July of 2008 with a bone graft, and in a week or so I should be getting the final crown on the implant. It's been a long process, but it's definitely worth it, and luckily I have a really good doctor.

www.pricedoc.com/blog/2009/12/10/what-to-look-for-in-your-dental-implant-surgeon/

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to redbird95's response:
Dear Redbird95:
Your time table is somewhat long...
When a tooth is properly extracted, a graft is mostly not necessary. The healing time is as follows:
6-8 Weeks after extraction the implant can be placed. The implant (depending on the brand, type, bone, etc.) will integrate in 2-4 months. At that point a crown restoration can be fabricated in 1-2 weeks (from impression to finish).
Usually an uncomplicated implant placement will take about 4-6 months from extraction to delivery of the final crown.
Comlications such as bone deficiencies are common enough, but not the norm.
Best of luck with your treatment.
Dr. Zev Kaufman

vimnjicki replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dr. Zev,
I had a post put in 3 weeks ago and have to take advil, ibeprofin 2x a day. It seems the pain is radiating down my neck. I am going to the dentist tues but shouldnt this be getting better over time not worse?
Thank you
Vicki

plazadental responded:

Let me tell you one thing that Flipper is one of the most common way to replace missing teeth while you wait to have an implant to heal. The duration of flippers depend on the type of dental surgery being carried out. If the dentist is placing the titanium screw in the bone and attaching a healing cap then you can use the flipper immediately, there will be minimal trauma to the gum area.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website