Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
No enamel on teeth
sea2006 posted:
My 2 1/2 year old son was disgnosed today as having very little, if any enamel on his front molars. They are very much decayed. He needs to have surgery done to cap these teeth as they are beyond repair.

I've never heard of this. My teeth have always been strong and healthy (one cavity my whole life -- whe I was 24 years old). My 2 older kids haven't had any dental issues either.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

sea2006 responded:
I meant "diagnosed"....that's what I get for typing to fast and not proofreading!

julierose06 responded:
My mom has this issue. She is 51 now, but it happened to her when she was a child. When her adult teeth were developing, she had pnuemonia, which stopped her bosy from producing the enamel her teeth needed. Her teeth arent decayed, but arent "normal" either. Discolored, I am not sure about sensitivity.

If I were you, I would try to find out if your son's "adult" teeth will be effected this way. Why does he need caps when he is going to get adult teeth in the next 10 years?

jimflows responded:
I am 22 years old and my adult teeth grew in with no enamel. I'm the only one in my family. I went through elementary school with yellow teeth..by third grade I had 12 silver crowns in my mouth. I now have 4 teeth fully in tact (theyre very soft, sensitive, and yellow-ish), 8 porcelain veneers and 12 gold crowns. The teeth with the crowns and veneers have been shaved down to prevent breakage and further decay.

I won't lie, I went through a lot of lengthy, painful procedures throughout much of my childhood and adolescence. I also had to deal, sometimes, with people making fun of my yellow and crowned teeth. At this point I am happy with my smile and am glad my parents were able to afford the procedures to make my teeth healthier and more normal looking.

Don't want to give a worst-case scenario as it's only his two front molars, but just wanted to share my experience with enamel-less chompers. Hit me back if you have any questions.

Justcallmebri responded:
I'm eighteen and when I was about four I had a really bad fever and I needed to be Rushed to the hospital. When my four, front, bottom teeth grew in, the grew in yellow. No one had any idea what as wrong with me and finally we went to the dentist and he told us I had no enamal at on my teeth. Doctors role me that somehong must have effected the growth in my youth . It was the fever. My teeth are way sensitive. I was in tears at every visit to the orthodontist because of the cold water and air they put on my teeth.it was really hard going through elementary school with kids always telling me to brush my teeth. And I did! I always did Very well. Well at this point my teeth are still like this. I have to go to a childrens dentist because my teeth are so sensiive, but I'm supposed to get caps very soon (once we can afford it). I recomend doing the same for your kid one they get older. I'd wait until after braces if you plan on doing that.. It'll hard to drink cold drinks, eat ice cream, and bite into hot pizza, but it's not really that Bad. I hardly notice anymore, I just learn to cut things with a olfork and eat it that way. I think the only bad thing is I am so self concious about it.

I hope this helped!!

kally79 responded:
Unfortunetly I do have experience with this. My family came over from Ireland in the 1700's and we can trace the first born child being born with no enamel on there teeth. We have no idea why this has happened but it's obvious a gene that we have inherited. So for example. I was born with no enamel (child/and adult teeth), my son same thing (first born), my father (first born), his father so my grandfather, and then my grandfather's father etc...I am one of five and I am the only one with this disorder. But there could be a possiblity that my second child will have this. It's a 50/50 chance after the first child. The sad part is that dentists don't come across this very often and there is no scientific reasoning. My teeth are strong and I have had very little cavaites. I had to wait until my adult teeth were in before a dentist would even touch my teeth to cap them...My current dentist said that we can either cap his teeth when he's adult come in or we can put some sort of paste on them (almost like painting his teeth white). So I know what you are going through, for I had very low self esteem and don't want the same for my son. Good luck and if you find any information I would apprieciate hearing about it.

lizzard094 replied to kally79's response:
I'm seventeen and the first tooth I lost came back in yellow on my bottom row under my two front teeth. I feared it was because I had twisted it out, so I pulled all my other baby teeth out differently. It started to bother me with being extra sensitive even though my other teeth were also very sensitive. They took me to the dentist, but he had no idea what was wrong with it. Thankfully, this was the only tooth to come in like this. But, strangely, over the years, the tooth is growing what I think is enamel over it. So now it's half white and half yellow and the white part sticks out over the yelow. The kids in my school always asked if I had corn stuck on my tooth lol, so eventually I learned to hide it under my front teeth so much that I developed an overbite. I've always wondered what this is. Now, I just brush with sensitivity toothpaste and avoid putting whitening products on it.

SMurphy4556 responded:
My name is Shannon, I'm 20 years old and for my whole life I have no enamal on any of my teeth. My mother, bless her put about a million dollars into my teeth making them look like normal. I remember having many surgery, but I dont know for what now; I only remember getting silver caps on my teeth. I now have porcilan crowns on my teeth, and they look like normal. Nobody on my mothers, or fathers side have had this, in fact my father was obsessed about his teeth, and mother had very strong teeth as well. I have just come to accept I was a glitch in the matrix. I also have not figured out if my child will also have this probablom. It sounds like your child is having done what I have had done, just miune is more extream. The road will be tough, and deffently rocky. I am glad to share what I have learned throught the years, with you.
1. Tooth aces will NOT go away after the teeth are caped, I went from crying as a young child, to getting extremley mad in my young teens, and now I can sort of just deal with it. He will too.
2. Even though his teeth are caped, HOT and COLD things WILL still affect the teeth. Yes capes help so much with this probablom, but luke warm is a good tempature to stay at. When he builds up strength aginst it (if he hasent) this factor will also not be a probablom, because he will learn to just deal with it.
3. There will still be very tiny spaces between the tooth and cape. I have it and my capes are porcilan semented on. Meaning at the dentest rubber pokers and such will hurt him less than the metal ones. Also SUGER will get down there. I LOVED sugar as a kid, and even when only a couple of the teeth were caped I used to eat sprinkles by the spoon full. I paid for it though. Limit his sugar intake and know that even one candy bar can give him a tooth acke.
I hope I have helped you, and over the years you will also learn together what works for him. I am 20 years old, but have teeth compariable to a 70 year old, and you would not even notice if I did't tell you. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me.

SMurphy4556 replied to kally79's response:
I have had this my whole life, also having ansesters decening from Ireland. I am about 95% Irish and 5% Indian. So you are saying if your child is not born with this disease, your second born is most likley to have it? This information is really important because I am starting to think about having kids in the next couple years, but I want to be in a position where i can finically afford in case this happens. I'm sure you know what I mean. I wonder if this is from decending from Ireland, because I have never really met any other person from Ireland and it seems like I'm the only one in New York State who has this disease!?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to SMurphy4556's response:
Hi SMurphy and welcome to WebMD,

You're responding to a discussion which began years ago and I encourage you to start a new discussion with your questions so our experts and others can more easily find and address your concerns.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

justingtxy responded:
know how you guys feel i have uhm.. i think its dential genesis imperfecta but its when you havbe no enamel on your teeth and their blackish see through and its the worst thing in the world-_- i wish everyday that i had normal teeth but i dont and its horrible for any other kids with this you werent like that from not brushing your teeth or being a scumbag you were born that way but gosh school is the harshest place on that and i wanna cry for the other kids who have tis because i have throughout my childhood for it im 15 now and there hasnt hasnt been a day in my life that i havent herd about my teeth.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Dear sea2006,

There are many reasons why children can present with little or no enamel on their primary teeth (baby teeth).

Some of them are genetic - like amelogenesis imperfecta - but more often it is early childhood caries. I would strongly suggest having a second opinion with a pediatric dentist, a dentist specializing in children. Fortunately most genetic conditions do not effect the primary teeth.

I would recommend having the dental work done rather than not treating you son as the baby teeth are placeholders for the permanent or 'grown-up' teeth. If the child loses the baby teeth the permanent teeth may not erupt correctly.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

MCM28 responded:
Same with me--high fever as a child, and adult teeth came in with no enamel.

Got braces at age 8 and wore them until 13. Got caps after that on the front teeth, and got bonding on the lower front. The bonding last a long time but not forever.

baba12345 responded:
I have the same thing. I got it from shots when i was an infant. At the time I was teething and it stripped my enamel. often people with this condition have black teeth. fortunately my adult teeth grew in with some enamel. Your son may have an allergy like me. They also say that this genome is uncommon and often repetitive in a family line. Count your blessings because most boys with this gene get autism instead and its severe

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website