Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I bite the inside of my lip
An_224348 posted:
I bite the inside of my low lip really bad a couple of days ago and have been using mouth wash to help it heal.I heard that this works. But its painful and its not healing yet. It also hurts really bad when I eat. What can I do to stop the pain and help it to heal?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_26693:
First of all STOP the mouth wash. Whoever told you about it is terribly missguided.
Mouthwashes tend to have a tremendous amount of alcohol which burns the skin tissues. Most oral pathologists will tell you NOT to use mouthwash at all.
The best thing to do is to leave it alone. The body heals the oral cavity very rapidely. Brush your teeth as usual and try to be careful how you eat for the next few days. When a lip is swollen it is very easy to re-bite it.
Our bodies are a wonderful system. Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do.
Speedy healing,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

shutuppauly replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dear Dr. Kaufman,

I believe I got bit on the inner part of my lip. There are two white spots there right now. Are they just healing or is this something I should be concerned about? I also think this happened 5-6 days ago, but I just started feeling it about 2 days ago. What do you think? Thanks again

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to shutuppauly's response:
Dear shutuppauly:
It sounds like a normal healing reaction. The general rule is...two weeks...
As long as it is gone after two weeks, it is fine. If a lesion (wound) lingers for longer than that without an obvious reason (you, biting it again), you should go and see your dentist.
Don't worry about it for now. Brush your teeth regularly and let your body heal.
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

shutuppauly replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Dr Kaufman:
Thanks for the response. Did some research, figured out its just a canker sore. However, it isnt the easiest thing to eat or drink with it, even water over the sore burns it. Is there anything I should do to make it heal quicker? I read about a saltwater solution over it might help. Just want to know if you think that would make a big difference or not. Also, if there are any specific foods I should stay away from while it heals. Thanks again

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website