Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Broken blood vessel on tongue
An_224352 posted:
I just had an unusual feeling on the top right side of my tongue while I was enjoying an extra thick milk shake. I was sucking on the straw pretty hard. At first, I thought it was a lump of ice from the shake but the sensation did not go away. When I looked in a mirror, I noticed what appeared to be a broken blood vessel. It was about 1/4" irregular diameter, dark purple colored and sore to the touch.

I looked on the web but could find nothing.

MarkMHB responded:
Dear Anon_29365,

The tissues at the side of the tongue are quite fragile, and can be easily injured by the teeth. This is especially the case while drinking ice-cold drinks, which partially numb the tongue and block perception of stimuli that would otherwise provide warning that injury is taking place. The negative pressure that develops in the mouth while sucking on a straw can also rupture vulnerable blood vessels.

What you have is almost certainly a hematoma-- a small collection of blood under the surface of the tissue resulting from rupture of the fragile blood vessels. Usually, these lumps disappear within a day or two as the contained fluid is absorbed.

If the lump persists beyond one week's duration, you should consider visiting your dentist to determine whether there is a more significant problem.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

An_224353 replied to MarkMHB's response:
Thanks...

The hematoma disappeared within a day. Feeling and sensation is back to normal.

Makes you wonder why someone would pierce their tongue!

toydog replied to MarkMHB's response:
I have very recently had three 'burst bloodvessels' in the front of my tongue, I had a stinging sensation then like a pin prick , looked in the mirror and my tongue was bledding, very near, each time. I have a sublingual tonsil which I have to have 'shaved down' every 2 - 4 years by lazer, wonder if this is connected or whether these new symptoms are sinister. I have an appointment with my throat consultant in late November, not sure if I should wait until then or no????? This happened first about 10 days ago, then about a week ago and then againabout 2 days ago Rita

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to toydog's response:
Hi Rita and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start a new discussion with your situation and questions.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

4121944 responded:
I was eating some mixed fruit and felt a lump on my tongue I later went to the mirror, I NOTICE WHAT LOOK LIKE A BROKEN BLOOD VESSEL IT WAS DARK LIKE. WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT/?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website