Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can my tooth be saved?
sehall745 posted:
My dentist wants me tooth saved. My Endodontist does not! Three days ago I had a second root canal on #18 that had a root canal and crown many years ago. It has always been extremely sensitive to hot, cold and chewing on that side. My MetLife group insurance is ending July 1 so I am trying to get this tooth repaired prior to that. I will be on Medicare but can't locate a dental plan. I have AARP Supplement Plan F with no dental plan in it. So I had the second root canal but the dentist was only able to drill through one canal. He said that the other canal was calcified so he could not drill through to get to the large infection under the canals although the first canal reached it. He said I must now have the tooth pulled but that just doesn't seem right to me. Plus the Vicodin, antibiotic and Motrion 300 mg isn't helping the intense pain since the procedure!! Who should I go to? what can be done? If the tooth is pulled I won't have the money to build it up. And how can I trust that all the infection will be taken out if the dentist couldn't get through the calcification? Help please.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi sehall745,

Have you called your Medicare provider and asked about dental coverage? Also, you can ask your dentist and/or endodontist office if they have some sort of a payment program. Most do have some kind of plan or care credit type of plan and will help you at the front of the office.

I think that you need to listen to these professionals and do what they think is best. You do not want to find yourself with an infection. If you are uncomfortable with your dentist and/or endodontist, maybe you should get a second opinion. I know that this means more money, but your mouth is very important.

I wish that I could be of more assistance to you. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find some sort of coverage or payment plan as well as a doctor to ease your worries. Good luck to you and keep us posted:)
Best Wishes! Amelia

sehall745 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you! I located a new General Dentist who gave me a referral for an Oral Surgeon who surgically removed my tooth. I ended up spending more money than I wanted but ended up with better General and Oral Dentists. My infection is now gone after years of pain. I have the pain from the oral surgery however that is a "good" pain because the problem is gone. I think I learned from this problem that at the first onset of a dental concern, I must be my own advocate and get a second opinion immediately. I wasted years on this tooth, causing myself more pain and money than if I would have acted proactively at the moment of the problem.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to sehall745's response:
Yay! I am so glad to hear that you are doing better!

Money comes and goes (I know that it is hard though!), but your health is the most important. Have a wonderful summer and thanks for posting back!
Best Wishes! Amelia

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website