Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bit my tongue in my sleep... owwww
MAnger1983 posted:
So I went to bed this past Saturday night and woke up the following morning with the most painful feeling in my mouth. Apparently sometime during the night I had managed to bite through the left side of my tongue without waking myself up. I'm a type 1 diabetic and it is very possible that I had a low blood sugar overnight and seized causing me to bite my tongue without waking up.

I went to the mirror to check it out and I discovered a rather deep wound, about 1-2 cm long by 1-2cm wide and at least 1cm deep It was deep enough that when I spread it open I could see magenta/purple flesh under the now grayish/white flap of taste-buds that used to cover it . Oddly enough there wasn't any dried blood around my mouth or on my pillow as I would've expected with this type of injury.

Now I'm wondering if I should be concerned enough to get it checked out or if I should just let it heal on it's own. I figured that with it being my tongue, keeping it clean is going to be near impossible & I wouldn't dare try to rinse with any kind of mouth wash as just brushing my teeth was painful enough. As of today it is still causing me to slur my speech considerably and chewing is slow going at best.

Take the Poll

Should I seek medical attention?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
  • Let it heal on it's own, there's nothing a doctor can do for you
vote
View Poll Results

dentmido responded:
u need to review dentist to evaluate need for suturing and prescribing topical antibacterial -anaesthetic paste
tongue gaurd appliance is recommended to prevent future injury

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Manger1983
DO NOTHING. The guideline in the mouth is simple... two weeks. If it goes away in two weeks by itself, no action is needed. If not, go see a dentist.
It is very difficult to suture a tongue and it is NOT commonly done.
The only concern that I have is that you are a diabetic. Your healing is slower and more difficult and you have to be careful. I do not know if your diabetes is controlled.
In addition, you should not be in pain brushing your teeth. If you are, you must go see a dentist and check out your periodontal condition. Rinsing, as I explained before, is NOT a prime hygiene activity. It is just an adjunct. You can do with, or without. BRUSHING and FLOSSING is the ONLY method to control the bacteria and their deposits and actions in our mouths.
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

MAnger1983 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you for the advice Dr. Kaufman.

Considering I don't have dental insurance I decided to suck it up and have been brushing through the pain which only occurs when the brush gets near the injury. No need to worry about periodontal condition. I've always been bad about flossing, so I've also been following up by rinsing w/ Listerine after meals. I basically applied the same care as if I went & got my tongue pierced. The pain has all but gone away and it is looking better with each passing day. As of right now it barely registers when I rub it against the inside of my teeth.

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to MAnger1983's response:
Dear MAnger 1983:
I am glad that you are doing much better. Keep brushing. It will help the healing. Forget about the Listerine. It is useless if you do not brush and floss first.
Go to my resources for a very good website on brushing.
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

maryjohn1952 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
my name is mary.i bite my tongue in my sleep all the time.it wakes me up and hurts alot.what causes this?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website