Skip to content
Drug resistant Oral Thrush
Lowlander41 posted:
I am a 41 year old healthy male. I have had oral thrush (for the first time) for three months. I have taken three rounds of fluconazol in combination with nystatin syrup. The thrush is not responding to the treatment it is hard to swallow my tonsils are swollen, the back of my tongue looks like cottage cheese,the whole of my mouth is covered. I have been tested for HIV and Diabetes both were negative. I am going to a low cost clinic with just a PA ever there and she doesn't know what to do. She said the next step would be to have my tonsils taken out because they are so infected. This seems wrong to me. I have no insurance and was just laid off two weeks ago so can not afford surgery.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Lowlander41 responded:
ps

I have good oral hygiene all teeth and gums are healthy
Taking acidophilus
Eating plain yogurt
Used gentian violet
Used tea tree oil
Rinse with peroxide
I do not drink
No drugs
Do smoke
This is way past any home remedy

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lowlander41,

I am so sorry to hear about this and apologize for the late reply. I've read that severe thrush usually is a problem for those with weak immune systems and/or other illnesses. I am glad that your tests came back okay for HIV as well as diabetes.

Here are two articles that I found about other causes and treatments of thrush. I wish that I had an answer for your situation, but I do know that smoking is not helping your health.

DENTAL HEALTH AND THRUSH
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-health-thrush

MAYOCLINIC.COM - ORAL THRUSH
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-thrush/DS00408/DSECTION=risk-factors

I also wish I knew what to tell you in regards to your tonsils. Have you had a throat culture to find out what type of bacteria or fungi is causing this? I would say to get a second opinion if you can and the PA seems to be at a loss of ideas on the situation.

I do hope that you find some treatment and relief soon and this stops spreading. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how things are going. Best of luck!
Best Wishes! Amelia

smlv12 responded:
Hello, did you ever get a resolution to your problem? I have also had oral thrush (for 8 months) and never goes away, I have tried EVERYTHING.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website