Skip to content
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO MEDICATIONS AFFECT DENTAL DECAY ?????
soulmte posted:
SERIOUS HELP NEEDED !!!!!!
I AM 55 & HAVE HAD PERFECT DENTAL HYGINE TILL NOW !!!!
AS A CHILD 1 ONLY HAD 5 FILLINGS ... AS AN ADULT 2 CROWNS..
OVER THE PAST 5 YEARS I HAVE NOT BEEN WELL & USEING SEVERAL MEDICATIONS DAILY .. SINCE FEB. OF THIS YEAR I HAVE BEEN UNDER ANESTHESIA 4 TIMES ...
I JUST WENT 4 A REG. EXAM & CLEANING & WAS SHOCKED BY THE 1ST PROGNOSIS, SO I WENT 4 A 2ND !!! -- THEY BASICALLY WERE IDENTICAL !!!! I NOW NEED 9 FILLINGS & 8 CROWNS & 2 POSSIBLE ROOT CANALS ( DEPENDING ON WHAT THEY SEE WHEN THE DENTIST GETS INTO THE TEETH ) .....
I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS IS CAUSED MULTIPLE AMOUNTS OF MEDICATIONS!!!
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the Poll

HELP !!!!! DO LARGE AMOUNTS OF MEDICATIONS CAUSE DENTAL DAMAGE ??????
  • YES, & THIS IS WHAT U NEED 2 NO
  • THEY CAN ,THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED 2 ME
vote
View Poll Results

MarkMHB responded:
Dear soulmte ,

There certainly are a number of medications that have implications for oral health. For example, any medication that suppresses salivary flow, such as antihypertensives, psychotropic medication, or anxiolytics will often dramatically raise the prevalence and severity of tooth decay. Calcium channel blocker antihypertensives and anticonvulsants can damage the gum tissue, and bisphosphonates for osteoporosis can damage the jaw bones. Oral inhalants can predispose to yeast infection.

The relevant question for you is whether the medications you're taking are contributing to your tooth decay; the answer is entirely dependent on the specific drugs under consideration.

Don't ignore the possibility that other factors may be contributing to the sudden up-tick in tooth decay-- medical conditions, a change to a dentist with a more aggressive treatment philosophy, and changes in oral hygiene or dietary protocols. Your dentist can assess the possible factors that may be contributing to the change in your dental diagnostic picture.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

soulmte replied to MarkMHB's response:
DR. BORNFELD,

THANK-U FOR YOUR REPLY !!!!

I HAVE BASICALLY BEEN A "GUINIE PIG" 4 THE MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM IN THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS .(DUE 2 MY FINANCIAL SITUATION, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE 2 SEEK "PROPER" CARE). I HAVE BEEN ON A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF COMBINATINOINS OF DRUGS DURING THIS WHOLE TIME -( I AM BI-POLAR W/ SEVERE DEPRESSION ). THIS PAST YEAR I HAVE ALSO HAD 2 MAJOR SURGERIES ( ALONG W/ NUMEROUS HOSPITAL VISITS) I AM ON MEDS 4 COPD & IBS ALSO .....
SO IF I AM UNDERSTANDING U PROPERLY --- ALL THIS HAS CAUSED A MAJOR AFFECT ON MY DENTAL CONDITION ...
MY OTHER "SERIOUS" PROBLEM IS THE FINANCIAL $$$$ OF THE WORK THAT NEEDS 2 B DONE ... WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WHEN THEY HAVE NO DENTAL INSURANCE ?????
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

gigiisold replied to soulmte's response:
Dear Soul,
I am in the identical situation. I know the medicine that not only wrecked my teeth, but also my digestion, which was the tranquilizer Ativan, that for me caused severe "dry mouth," in addition to some drugs I was already taking that caused a milder dryness. All the years of brushing after every meal, getting teeth cleaned at dentist on a regular basis, and I too am now amost 60, and I'm losing more teeth than are being saved.

I have no dental insurance, I'm on Medicare and am on SS Disability, so I turned to the county health department that had an inexpensive dental clinic to fix my teeth. They charged a small fixed amount for fillings, cleanings, X-rays, and extractions. Anything else was full price. But no matter what they did, and they tried very hard, I'm afraid my teeth were a lost cause. Maybe you will have better luck.

I am looking at having all my remaining teeth pulled, which was a shock, quite disturbing. I tried a last-ditch effort of getting a partial, but two dentists refused, so next week, I'm going to let the upper ones go and get my denture. It bothers me that I won't be able to eat hard stuff like nuts at home and I won't be able to go in the yard without looking like a toof-less hag. Oh, I'll have the denture, but I don't like things in my mouth, especially at home.

If I had to do it all over again, my suggestion to you is, if you find such a clinic like mine where you live, line up a series of appointments to get all the fillings. Whilst doing that, consider what you really can afford to pay for crowns, and have the rest pulled, but have the molars on the far ends done that need them. This is because a partial tooth plate can be hooked onto the good molars on those ends, providing pretend teeth for those between that are missing.

By fixing the bad ones via fillings and however many crowns you can afford, keeping in mind the farthest molars need to be solid, and clearing out all the rest, then getting a partial to wear in public, your mouth will be free of decay and then yearly dentist cleanings will keep it that way. And you won't wind up like me with no teeth... you will keep SOME of your teeth for casual eating at home. When you go out, put Fixodent on your partial, it'll stay in really well. Whereas I will be putting that on my denture.

I've been SO sick, too, back problems and other health issues cascading from that, and now due to no fault of my own, I have lost my teeth. This is the world of unexpected illness and the shattering effect it can have on your life plans. I am struggling to accept this different life, with Lionel Richie's song, "So many dreams have slipped away..." as the background music for my efforts to find the blessings, a new path, and a little hope along the way. It's a tough row to plow. I hope this helps.
GG

_swank_ replied to soulmte's response:
People without dental insurance pay out-of-pocket. Dental insurance is not like health insurance. Most plans pay a maximum of $1000 per year and that's it. Anything that costs over that you have to pay for yourself. In many cases, it's not really worth having at all. It essentially pays for two cleanings per year and then some other work on maybe one tooth. It would not come close to solving the problems you currently have.

Other people seek out dental schools that fix teeth at reduced rates. Others contact their county health department. My tiny county has a dentist that provides care for people that can't afford it otherwise.

The rest of us pay with credit and pay it off over time.

soulmte replied to gigiisold's response:
HEY GG,

THANKS SOOOO MUCH 4 REPLYING 2 MY DESPERATE CALL !!!!
I MYSELF, RECD. THE SAME "NEWS" FROM MY 1ST CONSULTATION . BASICALLY 3 CHOICES !!! 1) HAVE WORK DONE IN 4 PARTS ( PAYING FULL PRICE) - 2) GO 2 A DENTAL TEACHING ( USC IS IN MY AREA) , WHICH WHEN I CALLED , IS "NOT" THAT MUCH MORE CHEAPER & U HAVE 2 HAVE "ALOT" OF PATIENCE DUE 2 IT BEING A "TEACHING SCHOOL"- ITS ON A 1ST COME-BASIS,ETC... 3) FHAVE THEM PULLED !!!!!
I AM ON MEDI-MEDI , & IN THE STATE OF CALIF - ADULT DENTAL WAS TAKEN AWAY JAN. 1 OF THIS YEAR ( JOKE , KNOWING THAT ADULTS NEED "MORE" CARE & THE "GVT. NOS THIS SO"LESS" OUT OF THEIR POCKET !!!! I AM NOT ACCEPTED AT ANY COUNTY CLINICS DUE 2 HAVING A " SHARE OF COST" W/ MEDICAL .......
DECISIONS, DECISIONS .... -- THIS IS SOOOOOO F-ED UP !!!!!
SORRY, IM JUST SOOOO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW !!!!
... :>( I.K.

soulmte replied to _swank_'s response:
SWANK,
THANKS 4 YOUR REPLY !!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE TRIED "ALL" YOUR SUGGESTIONS.....
I LIVE IN L.A. & COUNTY CLINICS DO "NOT" ACCEPT MEDICAL W/ A "SHARE OF COST" ....
U.S.C. IS THE DENTAL SCHOOL IN MY AREA & I RECD. "ALL" THE INFO REQUIRED .... BEING THAT IT IS A TEACHING SCHOOL, U R REQUIRED 2 PAY "ALL" AT TIME OF SERVICE & EXPECT A LONG WAIT DUE 2 BEING A TEACHING SCHOOL ... ALSO THE "COSTS" R NOT MUCH LESS THAN THE % MY DR. IS OFFERING ME...ITS JUST COMING UP W/ THE $$$ ALL AT ONCE THAT IS "TOTALLY" IMPOSSIBLE 4 ME RIGHT NOW.
I HAVE CHECKED INTO NUMEROUS DENTAL INS. PLANS, & MOST R "PREVENTATIVE" ONLY ( EXAM, X-RAYS & CLEANING ) ... THE ONES THAT COVER ALL , U STILL HAVE 2 PAY THE "FULL" AMOUNT UPFRONT !!!!
IM SORRY ..... IM JUST SOOOOOO FRUSTRATED !!!!!
... :>( I.K.

gigiisold replied to soulmte's response:
Hi Soul,
When I go to my county dental clinic, I don't use my medical insurance at all, which is Medicare. I pay a set amount per visit, which only covers X-rays, FILLINGS, cleanings and extractions. Crowns and root canals are full cost, with partials and dentures around $300. But I think you could consider going with your regular dentist, perhaps they can bill you with a payment plan over time, and let go of some crowns in preference to extractions, depending on where they are (keep top front six and at least one of each back molars).

This business with my teeth has about driven me crazy, but it helps to make some sort of decision. I have to call one other place today that offers inexpensive dental care, and choose between it and having to drive a long ways to sign in at 7am (first come). You and me, NONE of our choices is good. And me having to elect to lose all my top teeth took a while to accept. But by the end of this week, it'll be over and I'll have a partial or denture (altho partial is just a last hope). I think I'm frustrated more than anything, plus losing teeth is so final. Well, hope you figure something out, and I feel for you.
GG

HEY GG....

THANKS 4 KEEPING UP WITH "MY MESS" !!!!
SO FAR, I AM DOWN 2 THE THE LAST FEW CALLS
AVAILABLE ..... TO DATE, I HAVE NOT FOUND "ANY"
RESOURCES IN MY CITY THAT WILL OFFER A "PAYMENT PLAN" .... ALL CALLS HAVE BEEN OFFERING ABOUT THE SAME PRICES 4 THEIR SERVICES , BUT MUST B PAID AT TIME OF SERVICE.
I AM ON DISABILITY (MEDI-MEDI ) MY MEDICARE HAS A SHARE OF COST SO THAT DIS-QUALIFIES ME FROM CERTAIN OPTIONS I HAVE FOUND... CALIF. HAS COMPLETELY STOPPED "ALL ADULT" DENTAL CARE AS OF THE 1ST OF THIS YEAR (GO FIGURE)....
ITS NOT THE % THAT IS THE PRIORITY, ITS THE NEED 2 B PUT ON THE "PAYMENT-PLAN" DUE 2 SUCH A "FIXED" INCOME !!!!!!
HANG IN THERE W/ YOUR SITUATION & I WILL ALSO DO THE BEST WITH MINE .....
...I.K.

_swank_ replied to soulmte's response:
You can use a credit card at the dentist office. That's what I always do.

Tule67 responded:
I am 44 years old and had perfect teeth as well. I too have had many surgeries. I found out in 2006 that I have an inoperable tumor wrapped around my spinal cord.Of course after 3 surgeries. I am on some very strong pain medication in addition to a internal pain pump. Right at the moment I have a chip in my front tooth. It peeled back layer by layer and now am down to a smal piece of tooth left while I wait for a dental appt. My filling fell out last week and I had a crown fall of about 3 weeks ago.
I do think that medication weakens your enamel and strength of your teeth. I can't believe that at 44 years old I may be paying for veniers. I am on a very fixed income as well. I am on SSD and my husband lost his job last year after 26 years with the same company. What gives? I believe there are a lot of people in need of dental care that is caused by medication. What can you do?

soulmte replied to MarkMHB's response:
MARK,
SORRY 4 THE LATE REPLY !!!!!
YES , U R SOOO CORRECT !!!!!
I HAVE DONE LOTS OF RESEARCH & IT IS IN TUNE WITH YOUR REPLY ...
I JUST HAD 3 CROWNS DONE & i go tomorrow 4 3 fillings ... more 2 follow ... uugh !!!!!
6 mths ago 1 went off several of my meds which caused more damage 2 my dental , due 2 dry mouth !!!
excuse the language , but it sucks !!!!!
thanks again !!!!!

gg,
please forgive me on such a late reply !!!!!
i totally understand where u r coming from ...
the last dentist i went 2 said my only choice was 2 pull them all !!! ... i freaked out , big time !!!!! ... well , last year i slipped thru the system & had 5 fillings 4 free 7 then they caught me ... uugh !!!!!
being in calif. , i looked into the usc & ucla dental schools being told that even tho they take a long time , they r so much cheaper ... wrong !!!!!
the prices happened 2 b more than a plan i found recently ...
i now have dental ins. with "met life" ... 1-800880-1800... check it out !!!!!
i got 2 keep my past dentist & have a full coverage program !!!
i dont understand the thinking of the government when u r on disability (medicare/medi-cal) & dont offer adult dental ... its absurd !!!!! the wonderful usa !!!!!
i wish u the best of luck & please look into my info ... i hope its not 2 late 4 u ...
best of luck !!!!!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website