Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
amoxicillin vs clindamycin
midg3t21 posted:
If I was prescribed Clindamycin can I substitute with Amoxicillin?

_swank_ responded:
No. You need to take whatever your doctor prescribed for you.

MarkMHB responded:
Dear midg3t21 ,

Although the semi-synthetic penicillins such as amoxicillin and penicillin V are considered the first-line antibiotics for dental infection, a significant number of people are allergic to penicillin derivatives, and may also exhibit cross-sensitivity to cephalosporin antibiotics such as Keflex.

In the dental context, clindamycin is usually used in cases of penicillin allergy. So, the answer to your question would depend on whether you have allergy or some other intolerance of any penicillin derivatives. Except for those patients who cannot take penicillin, amoxicillin is usually more effective and has fewer side effects than clindamycin.

You should confer with your dentist if you have any doubts as to whether clindamycin is appropriate for you. Keep in mind that proper dosing and duration of therapy is as important as selection of a proper antibiotic. Therefore, if you ultimately switch to amoxicillin, you should be sure that you have the correct dose and a sufficient supply for an adequate course duration. Also, be sure that any amoxicillin you may have on hand is not beyond its usable shelf life.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website