Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
problems months after wisdom tooth extraction
An_224467 posted:
its been about four months after i had a wisdom tooth taken out and all of a sudden the site gave me intense pain. a dentist gave me amoxicillin for what he thinks is an infection. the problem is after four days after starting antibiotics it is burning and after eating, it can become worse

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_88152,

I am sorry for your pain and hope that you have called your dentist back about your situation. If not, please do and hopefully he will be able to examine the site and find some treatment that will relieve your pain. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Best Wishes! Amelia

MarkMHB responded:
Dear Anon_88152,

It is uncertain whether your current pain is due to your recent extraction, or whether it is due to another coincidental but unrelated issue.

If it is related to the recent extraction, the potential suspect causes include:
  • inadvertent damage to the second molar during the extraction
  • incomplete removal of the wisdom tooth-- i.e., a fragment of the wisdom tooth may have been allowed to remain.
  • neuropathic pain-- complex regional pain syndrome
  • if the tooth extracted was an upper wisdom tooth, a persistent opening into the sinus may have formed.
In any case, you should return to your dentist for further diagnostic exploration. If deemed necessary, a consultation with an oral surgeon should be sought.

Good luck!

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

An_242100 replied to MarkMHB's response:
I'm interested to know more about this "neuropathic pain- complex regional pain syndroe". It's been 5 months since I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted. I have such intense pain sporadically that spreads to all my teeth on that side both top and bottom. The pain is sometimes so intense I feel that I cannot stand it and thankfully is subsides. There are times that the pain is more long lasting and spreads to the side of my face. I've visited my dentist quite a number of times in the last 5 months and he's taken x-rays, inspected for infection (none), prescribed products to reduce sensitivity and pain medication when I cannot tolerate the pain. I'm at my wits end in trying to get to the "root" of the problem. This "neuropathic pain" is intriguing.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_242100's response:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

You happen to be responding to a very old discussion and I fear your post may be missed.

I encourage you to start a new discussion on the board. To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website