Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Yellow teeth? What it might mean...
Eric Linden, DMD posted:
Did you know that if you look in the mirror and really examine and look closely at your teeth, cheek, gums, and lips you can tell a lot about your oral health?

Below are some common clues and what they might mean:

? Bleeding or red swollen gums is a classic sign of gum disease or possibly a manifestation of a systemic illness.
? Receding gums is another sign of gum disease and/or perhaps a result of incorrect or destructive brushing habits
? Yellow teeth can be caused by staining, poor oral hygiene, smoking, or ingestion of certain medications
? Dark marks on teeth can possibly be an indicator of dental decay, staining (eg. coffee and tea), embedded food particles, or smoking remnants.
? White spots on the tongue, cheek, lips, gums can be a sign of pathology (abnormal tissue) which could be caused by a virus, bacteria, irritation or other possible sources that need to be evaluated promptly by a dental professional.
? Swollen lips, gums can be a sign of an active infection, allergy or other systemic problem.
? Crooked teeth, can be a sign of malocclusion (bad bite), which if left uncorrected, can lead to possible periodontal (gum) trauma.
? Dry mouth can be a side effect of medications, dehydration, or possibly a systemic disease.

It's important to keep in mind, though, that while what we see in the mirror can give us some clues, it doesn't tell us the whole story. I recommend that people always follow up their self- exams with a visit to their Dentist or Periodontist.

What about you — anything concerning you when you see your teeth in the mirror?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please everyone welcome our Guest Expert Eric Linden, DMD ! Feel free to ask questions and reply to any of his interesting topics while he is here for the next few months. It is an honor to have him with us all to learn more about periodontics and other helpful oral health concerns.

Thank you Dr. Linden!
Best Wishes! Amelia

An_224471 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
My daughter, 41, has had cracks at each side of her mouth for the past several months. Only med is Nexium as she has had baratric surgery and also a multivitamin. She started taking oral B12 and also some iron-that only gave her diarrhea. She has no insurance to see a MD. She has also been using a lip balm containing neosporin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She does not smoke nor use illegal drugs. She is a mother of 2 and she homeschools. Thank you,

swtppurb replied to An_224471's response:
After reading some info in my "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" book by Phyllis Balch , it states that lack of Vitamin B2(Riboflavin) is the cause of cracking around the mouth.Doctors should know this! All the B vitamins need to be taken together.Oral contraceptives especially, kill B2 levels in body. I recently started taking 50 mg. of this and noticed my migraines aren't as frequent.
This book is the BEST and has wonderful alternative info in it, and ways to take care of your self. Also lack of B2 can cause lots of other problems, including digestive problems.

Eric Linden, DMD replied to An_224471's response:
There could be several explanations to cracks present at each side of the mouth Often times this is caused by excessive saliva at the corners of the mouth most commonly seen in patients with dentures, sagging facial muscles, or habits such as habitual licking of the lips.

Possible causes:

1- Fungal infection or Thrush. This can be caused by yeast or Candida Albicans. This condition can be treated with anti-fungal creams and ointments some of which are available over the counter and some by prescription. Ask your pharmacist or doctor. Additionally, your doctor might have to do a smear of the area and see under a microscope what organisms are present to correctly diagnose this condition.

2- Viral / Herpes Simplex. This is usually unilateral ( on one side) and is recurrent. But don't be fooled, it can also be on both sides. The area should be checked and a smear taken to see if viral particles are present. Many options including antiviral creams or oral anti-viral medications can be given to treat this condition and prevent recurrence.

3- if crusted this could also be be a bacteria infection such as staphylococcus aureus which can be treated with antibiotic creams. We don't want this type of bacteria to spread around.

The bottom line: Have the area checked to see if this is a fungal, viral or bacteria infection. After the diagnosis, then the correct treatment can instituted rather than guessing.

Good Luck.

Dr. Linden p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Arial}

Pinkrose12 replied to An_224471's response:
Se needs B vitamins, especially B1 and B2. They are water soluble so they do not build up in the body. I recommend a B-100 daily (it has all the B vitamins). Also, Vitamin C (Ester-C) will help as well. Hope that helps.

trishaj1987 replied to An_224471's response:
Same situation here. Hopefully she is using sublingual Vit B12 (melts under the tongue). Tell her to try a Super B Complex supplement. It worked for me : )

justbecca responded:
I have tooth decay which cannot be fixed without alot of money. I was goin to a clinic but after she pulled my k9 and the other 2 on either side of it, I dont think I can go back to her. Is it normal for the area and the sinus are to be so painful? I also have someother issues with other parts of my mouth both gums and teeth and I cant get any answers. Im so confused and just want the pain to go away.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to justbecca's response:
Hi justbecca,

Were your teeth pulled recently and is that where the pain is coming from? I am a little confused, but hope to hear more and hope that you feel better. Please keep us posted and take care.
Best Wishes! Amelia

123456abcd responded:
have a 7yr old who has his adult teeth yellowing by the day it seems. they were yellow but today i noticed they are really yellow now. he also does alot of grinding all his life since he got teeth. and i noticed today as well, that his top front tooth is getting a little white spot. what does all of this mean

Dent556 responded:
Thanks for the tips.

plazadental responded:
Hello Eric Linden, I read your post and thoroughly went through all the points that you mentioned. Each of them was true with quite informative details about each of the problems. Thank you so much for the post.

mery6 responded:
Yellow teeth are a common problem nowadays. But everyone can avoid it by visiting and taking services from here.

<a href="https://sites.google.com/site/bayridgebrooklyndental/">dentist Bay Ridge Bensonhurst Brooklyn</a>

mery6 responded:
Yellow teeth are a common problem nowadays. But everyone can avoid it by visiting and taking services from here.

dentist Bay Ridge Bensonhurst Brooklyn

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

How I was cured.
How I Was Cured. By: MeWritten on April 6th, 2013 I NEVER...had a history of geographical tongue. Then suddenly, I had strange symptoms ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website