Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tooth hurts when biting down after having it filled
An_224477 posted:
I had a tooth filled again as my dentist said the old filling was starting to show signs of wear. My current dentist purchased the business about a year ago and this is his first filling that he has done on me. After I had it filled when I went to the car I noticed that the filling was not as full and had a valley (concave) feeling. I went immediately back and asked him to have a look at it because it didn't feel like the other fillings. He said everything was fine. I tried to chew something soft so the day after I put in some bubble gum and immediately began feeling pain with mild chewing. Did he not fill the tooth correctly, or do I have some other issue?

Thanks

MarkMHB responded:
Dear Anon_121475,

The onset of your symptoms immediately after filling placement is strong evidence that they are related to the procedure. However, if it is only a few days since the filling was placed, it may be too soon to infer that something may be wrong. The process of placing a filling can unavoidably injure the periodontal tissues, especially if it extends between the teeth.

If the sensitivity to biting pressure continues more than a week, and especially if there has been no improvement in the symptoms, you should return to your dentist for further assessment.

Some possible issues with the filling that could possibly explain sensitivity to biting pressure include:
  • building the filling too high (unlikely, given your perception that the filling was contoured too deeply, but part of the filling may still be in "premature occlusion")
  • if it was a resin filling, it may have been polymerized too rapidly, which can subject the tooth to internal stresses
  • if the filling was particularly deep, the procedure could have caused inflammation in the pulp of the tooth
These possibilities will no doubt be explored by your dentist if the sensitivity continues.

Good luck!

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

npolite replied to MarkMHB's response:
Thank you so much for the reply. Should I continue to mention that I believe that there should be more filling in the tooth? I don't want to insult anyone by questioning someone but it just doesn't feel the same way as it did before having it replaced.

MarkMHB replied to npolite's response:
You have every right to question your dentist on any issue which you deem to be pertinent to your oral health. If your dentist has a legitimate rationale for contouring your filling the way he did, his explanation will set your mind at ease; if he doesn't, he should be willing to concede the point and revise the contour appropriately, as long as doing so doesn't degrade the functionality of the filling. And if he is defensive or gets insulted, that too will provide valuable insights into his character, and perhaps cause you to re-consider whether he is the best person to be providing you with care.

A question posed to your dentist in good faith should never be received as an insult, assuming that you're dealing with a dentist whose goal is to be deserving of your trust.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld
Brooklyn, NY

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website