Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Painful Sore on Gum after Tooth Extraction
An_224500 posted:
Hello -- about 4 weeks ago I had my lower wisdom tooth removed it was a partially bony extraction. Everything went well, and only minor pain followed. About a week an a half ago a small canker like sore developed on the gumline below the tooth extraction site. The sore grew into an ulcer and jawbone is now visible in the center of the ulcer. I returned to the Oral Surgeon and he advised that this happens sometimes due to the trauma of yanking out the tooth. He didn't seem too concerned and said it would heal over.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and how long it took to heal? I am in agony over the constant pain of this ulcer. I'm going to my regular dentist next week for a second opinion as the pain is getting pretty annoying and at times unbearable. Thanks for any info!

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_129716:
I hope that by now your extraction site has healed. If you still have the problem, you MUST go and have the site looked at. Exposed bone is not normal. It is an indication of problems. It might be due to systemic medication you are taking, or have taken in the past. It might be due to the procedure. In any case it has to be examined.
Please go and see your oral surgeon, or go to another one for a proper second opinion. Don't leave this be.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website