Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Kidney tranplant and Herbal Colon Cleansing. Is it Safe?
sean1010 posted:
I have had a kidney transplant back in 2009, September.
I would like to know...is it safe to use a herbal colon cleansing, comes as a pill. "Colon Clenz".
If not safe, are there other alternatives to colon cleansing?
And of course, I am on antibiotics for life.
thanks,
Sean

MrsCora01 responded:
First of all, you always need to talk to your transplant center before trying anything new. They know your drug regime and your status.

I am wondering why you feel that your colon needs "cleansing". I know that this sort of thing is popular, but there is no real medical evidence to suggest that it does anything other than line the pockets of the people selling the stuff. Also, you don't know what taking it will do to your electrolyte balance as well as what might be absorbed that might affect your anti-rejection meds. If you are eating properly, including enough fiber, your colon should be working properly and shouldn't need any extra help.

Cora

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to MrsCora01's response:
I absolutely agree with you Cora. :)

sean1010 replied to MrsCora01's response:
Cora,
Thank you the quick response. I will take your advice in full. I just thought doing the "cleansing" was a good idea due to getting rid of any excess junk in my system. I do eat properly, including fiber and my bowl movements are just fine. Just thought I would ask, just in case. Much appreciation and thanks.
regards,
Sean

sean1010 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lainey,
Thank you for your agreement.
thanks,
Sean

John-SKPT responded:
Those products are dangerous for anyone to use, especially transplant patients or others on any sort of maintenance medication.

Eat a high-fiber diet, lots of veggies and fruits, and you'll be better off.

(Would you take a gut-blasting, internally-irritating laxative every day? I doubt it. But when it is sold as a "cleansing" product, people buy it. You are being ripped off and lied to. Just don't try it. It's idiotic.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All... I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) when I was eleven. a very difficult time for my whole family. we managed to get it under control fair...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.