Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Generic drugs
MrsCora01 posted:
There is a still quite a bit of controversy among docs about the use of generics for transplants. Apparently only about 1/5 of docs approve of the use. See the article here.

Cora

Take the Poll

Would you use a generic Cellcept or Prograf?
  • Yes
  • No
  • If my doctor agreed
vote
View Poll Results

An_224172 responded:
MrsCora01: I had a liver transplant 1/1/2010. Started taking both generic Prograf and Cellcept from the beginning. Am now off the Cellcept. Am doing great!!! Have done great from the beginning. Good luck to you!!

MrsCora01 replied to An_224172's response:
Thanks! I'm just really curious how many folks are on this stuff. It is not yet available here in Canada (I don't believe). I have heard of a few folks that are afraid to start them since they have been doing well on the "regular" stuff. I am also on Myfortic (due to huge stomach issues on Cellcept) and Rapamune (probably not coming out with a generic for a very long time) and doing well. I suffered from nephrotoxicity on the prograf so I've been taken off it twice (once after about 18 months after the kidney tx and the second time after 14 months after the pancreas tx).

Thanks for taking the time to post. I would imagine since you started on them, there isn't an issue of worrying about what dosing changes you might need from the change.

Cora

John-SKPT replied to MrsCora01's response:
There were some studies done after the US FDA approved Gengraf as a less exclusive and less expensive substitute for Neoral (Cyclosporine A). The FDA studies showed essentially the same bioavailability and action for the two; but studies done on a broader spectrum of patients over a longer term showed that there were significant differences in bioavailability at least in certain individuals.

I was originally on brand-name Prograf, went off that for Rapamune for 5 years and I'm now back on generic tacrolimus. I've not seen any real difference in the side effects profile nor in routine lab numbers (but it has only been two months back on the generic version of Prograf, so it is too soon to pass judgment.)

20survivor05 replied to John-SKPT's response:
I have been on generic Prograf and Cellcept sine my transplant 5 years ago. I have had no side efects at all and am down to 2mg/day on both meds

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload A Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.