Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
new tattoos & donating a kidney,,,
sweetlovagirl83 posted:
would like to get a new tattoo but i plan on eventually donating a kidney. does anyone know the wwait time betyween getting a tattoo & donating a kidney?

MrsCora01 responded:
Interesting question and I have no clue. I would check with the donor coordinator of the center where you plan to donate and find out what they have to say. Let me know when/if you hear anything. I'd love to know.

Cora

John-SKPT responded:
I don't know any strict time limits either, but my suggestion would be to wait until the donation is done first.

There are SO many potential viruses that are no problem for average folks, but can be deadly to recently transplanted patients. And not all of them are easily tested for.

So there is a chance that the surgeons would turn you away as a donor, just because of the additional--and avoidable--risk.

Just wait on the tattoo.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to John-SKPT's response:
I agree with John.

itsmerry responded:
Have you gotten any more info on this? We live in Ohio, USA and my daughter got a tattoo about a month and a half ago from a reputable tattoo parlor and is interested in donating a kidney to a family friend. We are all over the web trying to find info but can't seem to find any regulations for donor evaluations in Ohio. Any info would be helpful (and if I find anything out as well I will be sure to let you know!) Thanks, Merry

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello I'm a 23year old young woman from Texas. I had my last kidney transplant in June 2006 has been successful with no complications. This was my...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.