Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
As the wife of a liver transplant patient who passed away 6 months after transplant, I have just one simple question.....can an O negative recipient recieve an O positve organ?
An_224173 posted:

Take the Poll

Rh factor in transplant
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrscora01 responded:
Rh factor has nothing to do with transplant - only blood donation and should not affect the outcome at all.

I am so sorry that your husband has passed. This must be such a difficult time for you. To be honest, I have no idea if my cousin and I matched as far as Rh was concerned. All I know is that she was an O, I was an A, and we were a 1 out 6 antigen match. And we are both doing well.

Once again, my most sincere condolences.

Cora

oldtiff47 replied to mrscora01's response:
CORA CAN YOU SHOW INFO ON RH FACTOR HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH ORGAN DONATION ?....

YEARS AGO I WAS TOLD IT DOES...

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

dinger59 replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks for your response....He was soooo good for about 2 weeks then began to not be able to eat and developed blood clots (the size of walnuts) in both legs. He never had ascites before transplant and after he had to be tapped weekly for 2-6 liters of fluid. It has been a very hard time to get through...he was only 44 years old. What we thought was going to be such a wonderful experience turned into a nightmare! I am just looking for answers and there probably is none...again thanks.

mrscora01 replied to oldtiff47's response:
Hi Tiff. Here is a link from the AAKP (American Association of Kidney Patients) that talks about the Rh factor in the "Blood Type Matching" section that discusses how Rh, while a part of blood, is not a part of the kidney, so has no bearing. The article is on kidney transplant matching.

Cora

mrscora01 replied to dinger59's response:
There is a liver transplant section on Transplant Buddies and I'm sure you could get some good help there. I've linked it to the Liver section.

Cora

oldtiff47 replied to mrscora01's response:
OK KIDNEY I WAS SO CONFUSED AND WONDERED WHEN ALL CHANGED FOR LIVER...

THANKS CORA

TIFF

oldtiff47 replied to dinger59's response:
DEAR DINGER59...WHILE I WAS IN SHOWER I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOU AND YOUR LOSS....AND WAS COMING IN TO ASK YOU WHAT HAPPENED...IF YOU CAN TELL US...

AND LOW AND BEHOLD YOU POSTED....THANKS...

SO WHAT DID HIS MD'S SAY WAS THE CAUSE ?.....DID HE REJECT ?....I WOULD ASSUME HE HAD BLOOD TYPE ORGAN AND RH FACTOR ORGAN ? AND THE OTHER MATCHES NEEDED..

IF HIS MD'S DID NOT TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED AND YOU FEEL UP TO IT I WOULD FOR SURE ASK THEM...

I AM SO VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS...PLEASE FILL US IN IF YOU CAN...WE ALL LEARN SO MUCH FROM OTHERS...AND EVEN THE MD'S LEARN FROM US..

TIFF

dinger59 replied to oldtiff47's response:
The question that keeps haunting me is he had an O negative organ and was transplanted with an O positive organ....with all the vessels and arteries in the liver to me the Rh factor would be important. His MD had no answers...they tested weekly for rejection and there was none. In fact he had been to the MD that day. He fell in the bathroom around midnight and I couldn't get him up. Paramedics came to help get him back to bed. He was weak and frail from about 40 lb weight loss. When I woke up for work the next day he was barely breathing....paramedics could not revive him.

John-SKPT replied to dinger59's response:
I;m sorry to hear of this tragic outcome.

But I have to go along with the other comments: Rh factor only affects red blood, not tissue. So there is no Rh factor for tissue, no such thing really as an Rh or Rh- organ.

While there is no way to be sure without autopsy, I'd probably look to the overall weakened condition, or possibly to an unseen but traumatic injury from the fall. It really does not take much of a hit to the head or neck to cause a devastating blood clot.

Obviously all this is just guesswork after the fact. So there may never be a solid answer for you. I'm sorry.

John-SKPT replied to John-SKPT's response:
I don't know if this has been cited or not, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/414309 but unless the patient has had a lot of, or very recent blood transfusions, this seems quite rare.

It is only one possibility though, and a rather remote one in light of several other things that might be a lot more common.

oldtiff47 replied to John-SKPT's response:
JOHN I HOPE IT IS OK IF I DO THIS FOR YOU...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/414309

COPY TO 3 RD BOX ON THE RIGHT....

IT WILL BE EASIER FOR SOME...

TIFF

WOWOW JOHN THANKS FOR INFO....THIS HAS CHANGED OVER THE LAST DECADE...SO ALL THE BLOOD IS OUT OF THE ORGANS ?

SILLY LAYMAN(GRAMMY)QUESTIONS ISN'T IT.

TIFF

WOWOW I JUST SAW THIS WAS POSTED IN 2000....I FOR SURE MISSED ON THIS....

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO GOT A LIVER 9 YEARS AGO AND SHE IS B- AND SHE GOT A B-......

TIFF

billm57 replied to oldtiff47's response:
hi tiff - there are different criteria for living donor vs cadaver donor - in living donor blood type matters but rh does not

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband received his liver transplant in October 2009. He's having bumps along the way, but seems to be getting better. I try to help him as I ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!