Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
liver transplant
nutty56 posted:
I have a very good friend that,well I concider him to be a part of my family. Its been a year now that he has been told he had Cirrhosis of the Liver.I have been taking care of him, this last time he has been in the hospital for a month and the doctor has told him if he didnt get a liver soon he is going to die.I understand that he did this to his self but it isnt right for a doctor to tell him this and then tell him that he will be the last one on the list to get one.I have allways told him if it was at all posible I would be a Live donor for him.We are the same blood type but I dont know what else that they have to cross match. I guess what I am asking is for someone to tell me how this works. p.s I am not a drinker, healthy liver.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi nutty56,

Sorry your friend is so ill. I am not sure of the process for donating part of your liver, I am sure his doctor will know. We do have some members online who can share their experiences but this community is sometimes slow. You are a wonderful friend to help him.

OLDTIFF47 responded:
HE DID THIS TO SELF HOW? IF IT FROM BOOZE THERE IS FOR SURE A WAITING TIME WITH NONE TILL HE COULD GET A LIVER..THERE ARE SO FEW LIVERS TO GO AROUND..

YOU SHOULD TALK TO HIS LIVER MD'S TO ASK ABOUT YOU.....

http://www.cpmc.org/advanced/liver/patients/topics/MELD.html
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

MrsCora01 responded:
If the transplant center has him on the list, then he is a candidate. He either has one of hundreds of other liver diseases that are genetic, or "did it to himself" but has proven that he can control it and take care of a new organ. They don't put you on the list if they think you will be in any way "non compliant".

As with other surgeries, it's harder on the donor as it takes a while for you liver to grow back to it's almost full size (and it does). It's easier for the donor who goes from no function to a while half organ.

Whishing you all the best

cookiedog replied to MrsCora01's response:
We are all placed on the transplant list in a strict order of our MELD score by blood type.

If you ask him his MELD and where he is listed for a transplant , we can help you figure out about where he is on the list.

Is his cirrhosis from alcohol or needle drug use. If so, he has to show 6 months of documented sobriety. Documented by someone over than his family and friends.

If you could give us more information, we could provide more information.

By the way, the initial screening requirement to be a living donor is total sobriety for six months or more including cigarettes, under the ago of 55 and blood type match.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Liver Transplant survivor of almost 5 years. I was diagnosed with severe alcoholic cirrhosis and was transplanted in August 2005. I am willing ...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload A Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.