Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
bk virus?
serena_77 posted:
my name is serena and i had a kidney transplant this july, (my step-brother donated his kidney) and i have been healing pretty well. i have had a few complications with UTI's and such, but tody i got a call from one of the nurses at the office. she told me that i had a bk virus in my urine and she was sending out labs for next week to do and to lower the cellcept to 750mg twice a day. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone and if i should be worried?

klf1972 responded:
My name is kelly and I had my kidney transplant in June and I've had a couple UTI'S a month ago and 2day my nurse called and told me that I have bk virus and am totally freaking out right now. Im also wondering if I should be worried about this virus.

MrsCora01 responded:
BK can attack a transplanted kidney, but sometimes a positive test leads to absolutely nothing. That is what happened in my case. I had to have a biopsy anyway and while the bk was in my urine, it was not in the kidney. Talk to your transplant center and see what they feel is going on.

Cora

serena_77 replied to klf1972's response:
I was told after my six month mark that I had bk in my urine too. I totally freaked out for awhile. I had to do some blood work and my nurse said that some patients are positive for it and it can affect kidney function, so they adjusted my medicine so I can fight it myself. So far, I have been ok. I can understand where you are at, and I hope you are doing great.

klf1972 replied to serena_77's response:
Thank you for your response and concern. I feel great and all my labs are coming back good except for the bk. My coordinator says that it is fluctuating and have cut my meds back. Hopefully this weeks lab comes back better. Hope you are feeling great too.

serena_77 replied to klf1972's response:
I am with you 100%. My doc lowered my meds and that worked great for me. I am feeling pretty good!!! I hope everything goes well for you too!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello I'm a 23year old young woman from Texas. I had my last kidney transplant in June 2006 has been successful with no complications. This was my...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.