Skip to content

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Donating an Organ as a "Condition" to be Released From Prison: Is it Ethical?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello community,

Jamie and Gladys Scott release from prison raises an ethical issue.

CBS article: Sister's Kidney Donation Part of Miss. Parole

The article By HOLBROOK MOHR, Associated Press

quote:

"Arthur Caplan, the director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania, has studied transplants and their legal and ethical ramifications for about 25 years. He said he's never heard of anything like this."
"When you volunteer to give a kidney, you're usually free and clear to change your mind right up to the last minute. When you put a condition on it that you could go back to prison, that's a pretty powerful incentive."

Do you feel the "donating of an organ condition" to be released from prison is ethical?

magelectric responded:
That's a tough one! I think you have to consider why the person is in prison, their release date, and all aspects of their case. Maybe have the prisoner should be able to present this option to the parole board, like they would if they were up for parole.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to magelectric's response:
Hi Magelectric,

The prison says "it is a condition of release" which means an organ must be donated. Do you feel the prison has a right to require this condition?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All... I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) when I was eleven. a very difficult time for my whole family. we managed to get it under control fair...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload A Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.