Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
wanting to donate
reddytogo20 posted:
i wanted to donate one of my kidneys to a little girl who needs it to live. i havent talked to the social worker yet, but was wondering...the girl is type o+ and i am 0-. i was told that my blood type was universal and could be matched to any type. i wanted to know if this is possible and if it would be a match for this little girl. i really want to help her have a chance at life. if anyone could give me some info on this matter it would be greatly appreciated!

MrsCora01 responded:
First of all, thank you for considering this. Since you are both O, there is no problem even though one of you is O positive and the other negative. It only matters for blood, not for organs. There are other tests to go through and I wish you the best of luck with those. As long as you are healthy and your crossmatch is ok (that's another test of compatibility) there is a good chance you can be a donor.

Good luck

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

19 years out: post kidney transplant,Diabetic,triple by pass on heart,every side effect from diabetes are present and getting very hard to deal with. ...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload A Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.