Skip to content

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Kidney transplant and dialysis
wpooh27 posted:
My husband is on Kidney dialysis,and has been for about a month know. I guess the question i have is what kind of health do you have to be to get a transplant. I know that me and my brother-in-law can be tested to see if we are a match, The only thing is that i am overweight, also i dont know if i can get my short term disablitlity from work. So i will be off all that time with no pay and also, i wouldnt have anyone to take care of my husband and he is recently recovering from a stroke.

mrscora01 responded:
The best source of info for you is the transplant coordinator at your local transplant center. Each center has different requirements. I do know that most places have weight restrictions on the donors. My cousin had to be careful not to gain any weight because she was just at the edge when she donated. They worry about complications of the surgery when there is excess body fat. I would also talk to the social worker about what kind of help you can get for after. My friend's husband gave her a kidney and for many weeks they lived off frozen dinners supplied by family and friends. Again, due to lifting restrictions, they had someone come in and do the laundry and mow the lawn once per week while they were recuperating. It is do-able.

Best of luck.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband received his liver transplant in October 2009. He's having bumps along the way, but seems to be getting better. I try to help him as I ...More

Helpful Tips

Tattoos after Transplant
Hello friends I am 8 months after double transplant..Liver and Kidney. I too would like to get a tattoo. my doctors do not have an answer ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.