Skip to content

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
CALLING ALL THOSE WHO HAVE HAD A PANCREAS TRANSPLANT...
mburke17 posted:
I have already had a kidney transplant, and now the doctors would like me to have a pancreas transplant. I would be curious to hear from others who have had a pancreas transplant - what was the surgery like? What was your recovery like? What was the first thing you ate after the surgery that you couldn't have before because of your Diabetes? How are you today? Do you still consider yourself a Diabetic?

Thanks,
Michael

john-skpt responded:
I had a combined kidney-pancreas procedure in January 2000, and everything is still doing OK. There have been a few problems along the way, mostly things related to medications, but overall things have done well.

I still consider myself to be 'technically' a Type I diabetic, since if I stopped taking the immunosuppressant drugs, the new pancreas would almost certainly be destroyed just like the native pancreas was. It's a little tricky trying to explain that to non-medical personnel, but the doctors instantly understand my definition.

Since my kidney failure had placed far bigger restrictions on my diet than the diabetes had ever done, the first things that I wanted were oranges, bananas, pineapples, things that the potassium-restricted renal diet had taken away.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello I'm a 23year old young woman from Texas. I had my last kidney transplant in June 2006 has been successful with no complications. This was my...More

Helpful Tips

Tattoos after Transplant
Hello friends I am 8 months after double transplant..Liver and Kidney. I too would like to get a tattoo. my doctors do not have an answer ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.