Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Family Doners
Sandy28678 posted:
Does anybody know, if a family member is willing to be a liver or a kidney donar, does the patient still have to meet certain criteria because they have cirrhosis from alcoholism, like they have to do to try to get on a list?

mrscora01 responded:
As far as I know, the criteria for the recipient are the same whether or not you have a living donor. At least that is the way it worked at my center. I don't think it would be any different elsewhere. They make sure that you are both physically and emotionally/mentally prepared to take good care of a transplant.

Cora

Sandy28678 replied to mrscora01's response:
I mean like going through AA and substance abuse training? Those sort of things.

mrscora01 replied to Sandy28678's response:
I would imagine that if that is what is needed, and that has been the stumbling block, then these are the programs that need to be done. They typically don't just look at how well you are physically. I also had a long meeting with a social worker pre-transplant for them to determine if I was going to take care of my gift from my cousin (she gave me the kidney). Had I been obviously very casual about taking my other meds (diabetes stuff etc) they probably would have had second thoughts about allowing the transplant. I hate the term "non-compliant" but that is what they are worried about. If your family member is liable to drink excessively again after transplant, they probably will have significant reservations due to the fact that it is a big surgery and might be wasted for the donor. Sorry, but that's a harsh reality in the transplant field.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine but my kidney damage progressed very slowly (in part I think...More

Helpful Tips

Tattoos after Transplant
Hello friends I am 8 months after double transplant..Liver and Kidney. I too would like to get a tattoo. my doctors do not have an answer ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.