Skip to content

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Proposed changes to kidney allocation
mrscora01 posted:
They have been studying this for quite a while and there are some suggestions to change the way kidneys are allocated. It will apparently only affect a smaller percentage of people, but it looks at expected longevity of the recipient. So if you are a teenager, you will have a higher priority than a 60 year old. Here is the article.

Cora

oldtiff47 responded:
I WOULD THINK A TEENAGER WOULD GET THE T/P FIRST.....FOR SURE IF I NEEDED A LIVER(I DO NOT)...IT SHOULD GO TO SOMEONE MUCH YOUNGER THAN I...THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTION IN MY EYES AT ALL....

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

mrscora01 replied to oldtiff47's response:
I agree. I think this is mainly about kidneys though. Not sure how it works for other organs. I know that especially as you get older - they offer you less desireable kidneys. I know that as I get older it won't be such a big deal to get an older kidney to "match". You wouldn't want to put a 60 year old kidney in a teenager.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband received his liver transplant in October 2009. He's having bumps along the way, but seems to be getting better. I try to help him as I ...More

Helpful Tips

How To Upload A Profile Picture
How to Upload a Profile picture: 1. Click My Exchange Profile. (left sidebar) or My Account (top right corner) 2. The click Change my ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.