Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
better care for transplant patients
An_252106 posted:
Dear you,

I work at a hospital in and would be honored to have your input on how hospitals can make the transfers from patients from their transplant location to a rehab more efficient, comfortable and reassuring. How can I as a nursing assistant make the transfer easier, provide a more comfortable stay, provide and let my colleagues know from you input how to make the transition from transplant to rehab to home go smoothly to the greatest of our ability? I have given this a lot of thought and often times I have found that people with liver transplants receive a bit more discrimination and scrutiny regarding their lifestyle when the occurrences and reasons for the awaited transplants varies in many degrees. As well, it is often difficult because I have cared for many post transplant to deal with the changes in their bodies post and pre transplant from men to women. The confusion and angst of family members and at some times staff at the hospitals themselves. I am curious regarding your input on what would have made or make you choose a hospital based on the supportive medical, social work, nursing, or support group care that one would need for one specifically being discharged after the gifted transplant to a new medical facility.
I will await your response,and my prayer for your continued healing and wellbeing in mind, body and spirit.
Thank you,
Julia Kanno

mrscora01 responded:
Sorry Julia, but I"m not really able to help. I've had a kidney transplant and then 6 years later a pancreas transplant. In both cases I went from post surgery to discharge. There was no rehab involved. I know that on average, a kidney transplant patient stays in hospital about 5 days and then goes home. I know it is different with heart and lung procedures, but many transplants go right home.

Cora

holly69 replied to mrscora01's response:
I know your post isn't brand new -- wow, I am on a liver transplant list. Other than a nurse and doctor so far in ABQ in the ICU I have had compassion. But those two were a**hole
s to me. Dr. was mad I had turned on tv in room. I had been there awhile and was resting. I could hear her in hallway saying "look at her just watching reality tv".......I had it on Dance Moms, by the way. I didn't turn it on when she came in. I guess I should of carried a bigger look of shame on me. Just when we are in the hospital don't judge. Not all of us are alcoholics, most but not all. I do fall into the bad category w/alcohol and HepC. I am a better sober person now, but I have been a mess before.
h

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.