Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Recovering from Kidney Transplant
An_252644 posted:
My husband had a Kidney Transplant last year. He seem to be getting along well with the transplant, but I'm questioning why the doctors did not remove the 2 Kidneys. They put the new Kidney in the front? Lately he is getting a lot of infections, especially UTI. Wondering if
I should ask doctors would it be better to remove the 2 Kidneys? I'm
thinking it would make all these other infections go away. I'm also
wondering since they Kidneys are not working? What will happen if
they are not remove surgically.

mrscora01 responded:
Very few native kidneys are removed when a transplant is done. Basically the old, non-functional ones simply shrivel up. They are not removed unless they themselves become infected or in the case of pkd, they are too large.

It is very possible that the chronic infections could be due to many other reasons other than the original kidneys. What does the doctor say about the chronic UTIs? Does your husband have diabetes? Uncontrolled diabetes can cause this as well. It is also possible to develop diabetes after transplant and UTIs can be a symptom.

Sorry I can't give you more info. You need to take this up with the doctor. It is a huge surgery too remove the old kidneys and simply not worth the effort unless absolutely necessary.

Cora

modartist responded:
I had a double kidney transplant with both being put in the front also. they didn't remove my od ones either. Nothing to worry about the (old kidneys I was told and not hooked up any longer ..)I havea bit of back pain now and then also but . I am going on 19 years post transpant and still kicking pretty good. My creatine is a bit high but always has been,I wish your husband well and am sure that thing wil be fine and wish for him they last a lifetime..

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine but my kidney damage progressed very slowly (in part I think...More

Helpful Tips

Tattoos after Transplant
Hello friends I am 8 months after double transplant..Liver and Kidney. I too would like to get a tattoo. my doctors do not have an answer ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.