Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

If you have had an organ transplant then you may want to also become a member of these communities if they are applicable to your condition to share your experience:
Diabetes and Kidney Community
Kidney Disorders Community
WebMD Diabetes Community
WebMD Hepatitis Community
WebMD Heart Disease Community
Ginger after transplantation...
Babydonut2013 posted:
Hello all, I had a kidney/pancreas transplant on 9/20/2013 and I know that the dietitian said to stay away from herbal supplements and certain fruit but I was wondering if anyone knew if it is safe to eat ginger candy. Before my transplant I had horrible nausea for almost half of my life ( I am 27) and someone gave me a candy called Gin-Gins and I fell in love with them. I know that the safest thing to do is ask one of the clinics care team which I plan toy do at my next appointment for labs but I was wanting to hear what other patients knew. I was put on the list and was hitting my 4th month on it when they called with a match and I have to admit that I was not fully prepared for the entire thing and didn't realize how much it takes a toll on emotions. I am trying to find some ways to learn how to cope with the changes that have taken place so if anybody knows a good source of online support tools and if there are anr. eccomend any kind of online support group or the best place to get better educated I would really be grateful. My name is Amanda and I was on dialysis for a little over 2 years, started a few daya after turning 25 and I guess it is a little hard dealing with all of this and if I could understand more of what to expect as I continue to recober then it might not be so hard. Any and all advice or suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Take the Poll

What was the most difficult part of your recovery?
  • Side effects from medications
  • Mood swings/Depression/Anxiety
  • Making the transition back to work or school
  • Finding assistance financially or not being able to afford meds
  • Finding emotional support
vote
View Poll Results

mrscora01 responded:
To tell you the truth, none of those really applied to me. I had some problems, but did much better than I did on dialysis.

Absolutely, check iwth your transplant team. But usually, there is very little "herb" in a candy, so you should be ok.

Amanda, I will get back to you on the other stuff soon. Best of luck and take care..
Cora

mrscora01 responded:
Hi, I'm back. There are 2 transplant groups I am a member of: Transplant Buddies and Transplant Friends . The buddies link is to the Kidney/pancreas board. You will find good help there.

Yes, it is a big adjustment. Your life seems to have changed so much in such a short time. Dialysis for a bit and then transplant. You will find your groove. The first thing to do is give yourself a break and realize that it will take you some time to adjust. It took me about a year to settle after my transplant. It took about that amount of time for the paranoia about germs and illness and food went away.

I would also suggest the Spoon theor y. It's by a woman who has lupus, but the energy issues can be the same.

Feel free to ask lots of questions.

Cora

Babydonut2013 replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you so much. I was very unprepared when I got the call to come in for a possible match. I had only been on the list for four months and I had gotten two calls before that that didn't come through and I was actually in dialysis when they called and I was half asleep when the charge nurse told me that I needed to head to the hospital and even though I had read all the information they provided me with I really did not understand the importance of having support. I have always been the person that others came to in a time of need or the one to find a way to make the best of a situation and dialysis didn't change that so I was really caught off guard when the tables were turned and the transplant process is something that most people don't experience so it feels like I'm struggling to really find a way to cope. I feel better physically but mentally I feel exhausted. I really appreciate the suggestions and I am going to check those out. I wish I would have done it beforehand and maybe it would have been a little easier to understand why I feel like I do but I guess the important thing is that I made it through the surgery and I have all the time in the world to learn everything I need to know.

mrscora01 replied to Babydonut2013's response:
First off, you need to realize that it is both physical and emotional. There are a ton of physical issues. The surgery and also the drugs. It took me more than a year to start to feel even close to "normal". Really check out the Spoon Theory. I had emotional issues with a lot of folks who were almost expecting me to jump up after the transplant and start playing raquet ball and go back to work. Life and transplant just don't work that way.

I lost a lot of "friends" due to my medical issues. Some were in it for the long haul, and others just oculdn't deal with me not being the one to provide support and assistance. Then I wasn't as useful and they dropped me. I guess they weren't that good friends after all.

Feel free to ask lots of questions about anything you want. I've pretty much covered all the basis on other medical issues in my history and have had quite a few emotional ones too. In fact, I met my (now) husband between my kidney transplant and my pancreas transplant. We have been though a lot together and to be honest, life is pretty good right now.

Take care.

Cora

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in 1966. In the 70s I was told I had protein in my urine but my kidney damage progressed very slowly (in part I think...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.