Skip to content
Deformed fingers - what should I do?
heronsysnj posted:
I've just been diagnosed with OA in my hands, and my right index finger is starting to bend at the top knuckle. Even if I can manage the pain, it looks horrible and makes me embarrassed to show in public.

I haven't seen my Dr. yet, but my physical therapist said it was something akin to a bone spur. Name was "osteo-" something, I don't remember.

If it's like a bone spur, can it be treated that way, with orthopedic surgery? Is there anything else I can do to straighten my finger back to the way it was?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Heronsysnj,

Welcome to the community, I am sorry you are in pain and hope you find relief soon. This community can offer support and information. WebMD has some information about Hand Osteoarthritis .
The article states:

"The main goals of osteoarthritis treatment involve reducing or eliminating pain and/or restoring function and mobility. The following nonsurgical treatments may be used:

Giving medications, including anti-inflammatory or analgesic drugs. This treatment might also include injections of pain reliever/steroid combinations.
Using finger or wrist splints or soft sleeve devices during the night or during certain activities.
Resting the joints.
Using heat treatments such as paraffin baths or cold treatments when swelling is severe.
Performing exercises given by your doctor.

If the pain is too severe, or if movement becomes too limited, surgery may be needed. Types of surgery for treating hand osteoarthritis include:

Joint fusion, in which the bones are fused together after arthritic bone is removed.
Joint reconstruction, which involves replacing the joint surface that has deteriorated with a joint implant or with tissue such as tendons."

I hope this helps, please feel free to post any more questions or join in on our discussions.

Helpful Tips

Arthritis pain relief for feet
A bottle of Castor oil costs around $3.00 and lasts for months. Simply rub and massage the oil into the affected areas at bedtime, then ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 89 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.