Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Foot Pain and Numbness after Hip Surgery
STACEY6060 posted:
I just had Hip Anthroscopy Surgery on Friday, February 13. My hip is healing very well, but I am having an extreme amount of pain and numbness in my foot. Two of my toes are numb and 3/4 of my foot. The only area which is not numb is the arch of my foot and 3 toes. The pain is in the middle of my foot which goes back to my heel. I can actually feel nerve movement in the area of the pain in my foot. I addressed it with my doctor and he said he will go away in a few days. It is getting worse everyday. I am very frustrated. ANY advice would be appreciated and I feel as if my doctor is being very passive.

Thank you

_swank_ responded:
My ankle was killing me after my hip scope. It's because they put a boot like thing on your foot and then yank on it so they can pull your hip partly out enough to get the scopes in the joint. I had previous ankle surgery so when I woke up I had more pain in my ankle than my hip. It did go away eventually.

joliger2 responded:
If you had thr using the posterior method, the nerve damage in your foot is caused by your feet being strapped top down to the op table, forcing your foot straight out in an unnatural position stretching the nerves for a relatively long period of time. You are under sedation and cannot complain or do as you would naturally if you were only asleep and reposition your foot when it starts to hurt. Both of my feet were damaged in this manner by being under for over 14 hours having open heart surgery. Although I was right side up during that surgery, I still had tens of pounds of war blankets pressing down on my feet for over 14 hours with nobody paying attention to the damage being done to my feet hidden under all these covers for such a long time. After 6 years, my feet were just starting to feel close to normal when I has THA that caused a little on the numbness and pain to return to the operated side, and the non-operated side was even worse than 6 years ago! Evidently they keep your non-op foot tied down the entire time you are out, but release the operated side during part of the time they are working on you. It is easy to tell if this happened to you because your non-op foot will be the one causing most all the problems and the operated side will be much better in relation to it.

If you has the anterior minimal invasive approach, the reaso will most like be as described by the other fellow.

The real problem is that you are not being car o as you should be while you are under and unable to care for yourself. I strongly believe a person should be in the operating room at all times while you are out trained in care for someone under and not able to care for himself. That person should be trained in nerve damage problems caused by you yourself not being able to do this yourself.

i

kathygraf responded:
I Had thigh surgery 10 day ago and have similar numbness. The ankle is numb including vrs areas of my foot. Unable to flex my heel. Has you numbness gone away?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.