Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in the Neck
plumislandgal posted:
I have OA in my cervical spine. I'm 58 years old and it was diagnosed 15 years ago. I've managed to keep fairly comfortable with daily range of motion exercises, acupuncture, meditation and OTC's when needed. I have always been active--going to the gym 3-4 times a week. In the last year it has gotten much worse to the point that the only relief I get is to lay down. I've gotten 4 cervical epidural with steriod injections (CESI) recently which help for about 10 days after the treatment, but that's it. I haven't been able to go to the gym for the last year because even the motion of walking on treadmill caused great pain. I'm running out of options and could use some advice.

georgia888 responded:
I have read a lot of positive information concerning spinal decompression. An explanation of the treatment in layman's terms is that the spine is literally stretched during the procedure. Not everyone is a candidate for this & the chriopractor or physical therapist will want to see x-rays, MRI or the like to determine if you qualify. Of course, you will want your doctor's blessing before undergoing any treatment. I understand that many health insurance plans cover this if performed by a physical therapist but not by a chiropractor. I do not know of the reasons why.

Good luck & please keep us posted.
georgia

Anon_77052 responded:
Hello,
In 2004 I could hardly walk and had very little movement of my head and arms, I wasn't allowed to lift my children when they were born. I was afraid that I would have to begin using a walking cane and then my Pain Management doctor prescribed a TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) unit for me. It took time - sometimes using it three or four times per day for an hour and one epidural but now althouigh I am not pain free I only need to use it 4 or 5 times a week and I can do almost everything I used to do again. I would recommend a TENs unit ...it similar to the machine the physiotherapist uses except you can just clip it on and use it anywhere.

ak_girl responded:
I agree with georgia888; a chriopractor or physical therapist is a great option! i too have severe OA in my spine along with everywhere else... and i have had great results from adjustments, tens, and also the ultra sound to break up the calcium deposits. Theres nothing that can be done for bone spurs if you have them, as do i and that's where the physical therapy helps... Good luck!

hisfaithful1 replied to ak_girl's response:
I just made a post a few days back about severe pain in my neck. I had physical therapy for it about 6 months ago, but it did not help in the least! I was so disappointed. My neck pain is mostly on the left side and it radiates down into my left shoulder. I cannot even stand for my husband to barely touch my shoulder.
I only had an xray that confirmed Osteoarthritis, but I'm thinking I mostly likely have bone spurs. Are you serious that nothing can be done for bone spurs in the neck? That is rather disheartning!

mptynstrRN replied to hisfaithful1's response:
I found that trigger point therapy has helped with my neck/back issues.....I had a lidocaine injection & it lasted 3-4 mos.. we feel your pain! Don't give up hope or let the Dr's dismiss you!! I found that there are more options available now with people in these conditions frequently caused by our new "computerized" way of life & resulting spinal issues....

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.