Skip to content
Pain after basal joint arthroplasty - continued
summerswind posted:
I am at the three month mark after my basal joint surgery.
My range of motion and hand strength is great but there is still a burning pain after I use my hand a lot.

The question is how long does the nerve pain last? Does the six month/ one year projection resolve this issue or does something else need to be done to eliminate the nerve pain?

Illinoislady responded:
Hi summerswind, I had surgery on my back for a herniated disc a few years ago and had a lot of nerve pain. I also have fibromyalgia. What the Dr's. gave me was Gabapentin generic for Lyrica and I am still on it. I also use a portable T.E.N.S. unit a couple of times a day and I have a portable ultra sound also. I actually got mine on-line. Both of these help a lot. There is also a homeopathic product called "Neuragen" It is a liquid and you rub it on your skin when you feel the burning. I think there are other brands also. Nerve pain is not fun, so I wish you lots of luck and keeps us informed on your progress.

MYKULLLL replied to Illinoislady's response:
Gababentin is actually the generic for NEURONTIN!!!

Illinoislady replied to MYKULLLL's response:
Sorry about that. I should have said that it was a related drug. When I needed a generic for the Lyrica and looked it up on my insurance drug plan, that is what they gave as an alternative to the Lyrica. I guess I should have checked it out further before responding. Bottom line is that it does work for nerve pain and is a lot less expensive. Thank your clarifying that.

summerswind replied to MYKULLLL's response:
My Ortho doctor gave me a prescription for Neutrontin encase the nerve pain doesn't get better. She said it is used for people with diabetes that have nerve pain and should be taken at night as it makes you drowse.

Any side affects I should know about?

1958jgirl responded:
I've had surgery on both of my thumbs for basal joint arthritis. My left thumb was operated on in Dec. of 06 and the right thumb was operated on in Jan. of 07. My left hand actually still bothered me for almost 1 year, not the thumb area itself but my hand in general. I write with my left hand, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I also had carpal tunnel surgery done at the same time as my right hand. Having these surgery's were the best decision I've made. I felt like a new person. Now after many years of complaining, I'm going to P/M for problems with my neck, lower back and sciatia. I recently had a nerve block for my neck and it feels wonderful. I have know idea how long this relief will last, but I'll take any amount of time.
If I were you, I'd call the surgeon or the center that did your surgery. Mine told me certain things would take up to a year or better afterwards but I didn't have any nerve issues with that particular surgery. Good Luck to you!

Ksmith625 replied to 1958jgirl's response:
I had surgery on my right thumb for basal joint arthritis 2 weeks ago today. Got cast off and stitches out Tuesday, and a removable splint made same day that allows a little more use of my fingers. The first two or three days after surgery were very painful even with vicoden and I slept off an on for those days when the pain would allow. After that though it has gradually gotten better. When they took the cast off 10 days after surgery, my wrist and the top of my hand hurt very much, but that has gotten better, with me taking the splint off a few times a day and slightly working my wrist as the doctor ordered. I didn't expect my wrist and hand to hurt but the doctor said that is where most of the work was done.

ggm69 replied to Ksmith625's response:
help! i am scheduled for surgery for this problem in two weeks. cancelled twice already because i am so scared. it is not my dominant hand but pain and weakness is persistent. i have not found anyone who has had this problem and surgery. i will have to wear a cast for 3 weeks and splint for four. i am afraid i will be in more pain afterwards and not be able tostand the splint. i am thinking of cancelling again. could you please e-mail with the true story of how it is. thanks. ggm69 glorggm@optonline.net

merc1989 replied to ggm69's response:
Hello ggm69, were you able to alleviate your fears and get the surgery done?
I am in a similiar situation and a MD recommended getting in a forum to hear about the surgery and rehab before making a final decision.
If there is anyone who has had this surgery, please share 'IF' in fact the surgery is worth it...does the surgery eliminate the pain
entirely after healing/rehab?

Thank you in advance for your input.

BasalJointArthritisPt replied to merc1989's response:
I have this problem - but I'll go for fusion before I'll have the LRTI - what I really want isn't available in my state - the Bio Pro Modular implant. They have a 94% success rate and it doesn't take as long to recover - it also doesn't disfigure. Don't know how long I can wait for surgery, though - or how long it will be before they have it in my state - I'm getting it in my right thumb as well.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.