Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
too young for knee replacement
melissa1998 posted:
I am 33 years old and I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. I went to see several surgeons who all agree that surgery is my only remedy to reduce pain. The problem is knee replacements will only last about a decade which would mean that I would have to have them replaced again. The doctors do not recommend getting the replacement for that reason. I saw one doctor who recommended an otseomaty but I am afraid. I have already been through cortisone injections and recently syvnvisvc which did not help. I am a very active person and I want to do something for the pain since it is affecting my everyday performance. It sucks that this happened to me so young. Anybody have any comments. I never thought this would happen to me

georgia888 responded:
Hi Melissa,
Have you tried warm water therapy? I & many at the pool where I visit daily have found this to be extremely therapeutic for arthritic joints. You state that you are very active - are you keeping your activities low impact? Without getting too personal, maintaining a low weight is essential for arthritic sufferers.

I wish you the best of luck.

georgia

collette2211 responded:
See a Podriatrist! orthotics make a real difference

smallgrizzly113 responded:
Hi Melissa,
I was diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis when I was a kid. I have had a lot of pain and issues with my knees. Because of the arthritis, I could not play sports, walk much or do anything I wanted. I had TKR at the age of 42. Prior to that, I had 3 scopes and a Unispacer put in my right knee. The Unispace lasts up to 10 years and I was the perfect candidate for the surgery. Unfortunately, my knee deteriorated much more and I needed a full knee replacement 2 years after the Unispacer was put in. My knee replacement will last up to 20 years as long as I take care of it. My doctor says I was born with 80 year old knees. I looked into the otsomaty but that is way too radical. Do some research and know what to ask but the TKR was the best thing for me.
Good luck with your choice.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.