Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Finger cramping and pain
eagleeye10 posted:
Hi everybody,
I'm having trouble with my fingers when gripping items. For example, when holding a paint brush, tweezers, hand sewing, small garden hand tools. Sometimes it even happens when holding the mixer for too long. One finger or thumb will suddenly sort of cramp and go straighter than I can even straighten it by my own muscle and be really stiff. It also goes numb a little bit. I just massage it for a minute and it goes away. It sort of hurts like a charley horse. Sometimes they point towards another finger to one side or the other instead of just straight out. The pinky finger will point down just a bit but not straight down. This has occurred on all fingers on one hand or the other. It doesn't occur when on the computer or moving them at all. Its just when they are in a fixed grip like position or intense position holding something.
I do take calcium and magnesium

Thank you!

stephanieburnett responded:
I know the pain. Also, I get a burning feeling in my hand. I have started taking glucosemine twice daily, hads help greatly for all joint pain. Try using a pain relieving cream like Icy Hot at night. It
has helped me with the stiffness during the day.

Steph

bettie72 responded:
My hands have attach's like you are describing. Writing or holding anything for a short period of time will bring this on.
I also have mild RA and it is controlled. But I have severe osteoarthritis in my back. Now the hands started this pain and cramping attach's I was put on Hydrocodone and Motrin which has helped some. Using the computer has started my thumbs
and the index fingers to have severe pain that doesn't stop my
primary doctor thinks a brace would help since the med's don't do anything for hand pain for me. It may help you.
This site will give you some great advice I have learned a lot since I used it for RA. and now need to use it for osteo.
Good luck and hope you find relief.

bettie72 replied to stephanieburnett's response:
I use pain creams during the day for hand pain/cramps.
Also on pain med's for severe arthritis.
Thank you for the post I wasn't sure if I should be using this or not.

pikachu464 responded:
I have gotten that in my toes before. It hurt so much I felt like throwing up. And in my finger I don't really have that but when I woke up this morning it felt really stiff and sore and when i felt the bone it felt like it was popping. But I can still move it, ok.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.