Skip to content
Sudden onset of weak tendons?
lcc0524 posted:
Hello all,

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with a chronic tendinitis in both of my wrists. I attributed that to my "hand-folding" of clothes at my retail job because that certain movement is the most painful.

I have now been stricken with some pretty severe pain around my ankle (this just started today). After googling and reading a lot, I am pretty sure I have ruptured my achilles tendon as I am unable to "push off" with my toes or point them downward (like trying to push down a gas pedal).

Obviously, I have yet to see a doctor so I don't have a confirmed diagnosis. My main worry, though, is the fact that I'm 22 years old and already have chronic tendinitis. Additionally, the achilles tendon rupture is normally seen in middle aged athletes because "tendons grow thin and weak with age." I should have mentioned beforehand that I did not have any sort of "accident" that could have caused this sort of pain. I'm of the belief that my tendons are just thin and weak so any sort of general activity could be harmful; but at 22? Is this common?

I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not I may have a form of arthritis? I'm also wondering what kind of questions you all believe I should ask my doctor? I'm of the belief that both conditions are related just because neither was caused due to a real "injury." (I mean, come on, people fold clothes by hand all the time and are fine, right?)

Also, is there any condition or illness you all might have knowledge of that I should ask questions about or look into more that would be related to these issues I'm having?

I appreciate any and all input; thank you so much!

_swank_ responded:
If you had ruptured your Achilles tendons you would not be able to walk, let alone push off. You would not be able to extend your foot at all.

You should stop reading the internet and go to the doctor.

LovesLiving responded:
Have you taken any antibiotics in the time leading up to your chronic tendinitis?

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.