Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Patience
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Has being in chronic pain given you more patience or do you find yourself more impatient than you used to be?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

georgia888 responded:
Hello Caprice,
Since my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia with Osteoarthritis in various joints, I find that I am more patient. Being ill has made me realize how very precious life is & subsequently, has made me value life all the more. It's as though the only real problem in life is poor health. Most other problems have solutions. I do manage my conditions to the best of my ability which helps me cope.

Take care,
georgia

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia,

I've found the same. To some extent, both my pain conditions and just life continues to teach me the lesson of patience which didn't used to be one of my strengths.

Being in pain taught me patience and made me figure out what's really important too.

I'm now 51 and have friends around my age who are starting to balk about aging. I've been in that place for a couple of decades already so actual aging is a breeze for me.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

RoseLynn02 responded:
I find myself being more patient and appreciating things more. It made me realize that most of the time things aren't really as bad as we make them out to be. I can't take most pain meds because I have negative reactions to codeine, hydrocodone, and the like....so I really do have to pretty much just deal with it. I have arthritis in my hands and I'm only 26 and a wife and mother of 2. The option of letting it affect my life just isn't there, so I just cope with it & when it hurts real bad I do the dishes.Between the movement from grasping and releasing the dishes and the hot water by the time I'm done they aren't always too bad anymore and if they are I hug my kids and remember what I have to be grateful for.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
What a great tip you shared, RoseLynn.

Chronic pain hit me when I was in my 20s and a mother of two as well... as you said, you have little choice but to carry on and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Thank goodness for our children; they kept me moving forward and sometimes I needed that.

RoseLynn02 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well life just doesn't always go the way you think it will or want it to. Life doesn't conform to use, we have to conform to it. The way I see it life is what you make of it. My mom has arthritis, tendonitis, & carpultunnel in both her hands & wrists,she is bone on bone in both her thumbs & 1 shoulder, she has arthritis in her knees & hips & shoulders. For her its rheumatoid so it's all over & it's chronic. I'll tell you what though, most days you would never know it. She never lets it get her down or stop her from living life & enjoying it to the fullest. She copes with it better then anyone I know & lives her life to the fullest. She is an amazing mother, wife, & grandmother. I learned a lot from watching her face this pain & I admire her & look up to her a lot. She is a true fighter & I'm proud of her. She runs around & plays tag with my kids in the grass & lifts my girls into her arms & gives them piggy back rides & everything else you could imagine. Everyone here learning to cope with this pain & adapt it into their lifestyle could learn a lot from her.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Wow, your mother sounds like an amazing woman, RoseLynn! Talk about living by example... thank you for sharing that example with all of us here.

PatsTreasures responded:
Hi Caprice!

I'd have to say a little of both. I've learned to be somewhat patient with the doctors while they try to figure out what else is going on besides osteoarthritis. However, I've become more impatient while waiting in lines at stores and such. It's hard to wait and stand in one place when you have arthritis pain in both knees, ankles, feet, toes, etc. Basically I have arthritis everywhere! I'm in constant, chronic pain and that makes me very irritable and impatient. I have learned to be more patient with people in general though, especially my husband and people that mean well. Interesting discussion. Thanks!

RoseLynn02 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
She really is amazing & she did set a great example there for me. She was told by her doctors that arthritis can be hereditary, so I think she knew there was a chance I would have to struggle with it & I think she wanted me to realize & understand that it doesn't end your life & it doesn't have to stop you from enjoying life. Plus she knew if I didn't get it that I was going to be in a tough place because I can't take pain meds (which I personally see as a blessing & feel it makes me a stronger person). So unfortunately I do I have it & suffer through it at times. Today was a difficult day for me....We had a busy day & I had a lot of cleaning to do & by the end of it my hands are now hurting horribly, but oh well such is life. My oldest DD is sitting in front of me coloring a picture while my youngest DD takes a nap & my wonderful DH is sitting beside me & has helped me all day....can't ask for anything more.

cheepcom responded:
I never though about it before but I am more patient. I have several problems that cause pain and discomfort, topped off by headaches, that seem to never leave. Fortunately the headache is low grade...but never the less a headache. It would seem you just accept the fact that no matter what you do there will be pain.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Relief for Knee OA
Doing squats on a Total Gym (2 or 3 reps of 20) at an incline, taking Nopalea, whirlpool baths and a proactive attitude through prayer have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.