Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
i need a friend i cant deal
brittanymorse posted:
am a 21 year old veteran. i have degenerative joint disease in my hip. its the same thing as osteoarthritis pretty much. my hip is also displaced. i am hypersensitive from the waist down and my nervous system is messed up. i feel completely alone. being in a wheelchair has turned my life upside down. ive been in a wheelchair for 5 months. ive been dealing with this for 2 years now and its getting worse...anyone who has any advice or any knowledge of what i can do to help me get better or at least out of the wheelchair faster would be appreciative. i am waiting on the VA (veteran's affairs) to approve me seeing an outside doctor so it gets paid for since i dont have any health insurance out of the VA. thanks

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Brittany and welcome to WebMD,

While you're waiting for responses here, I encourage you to also post on our Pain Management community .

You're not alone anymore.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

shirmart responded:
Brittany, I'm no medical person and I have no idea what you are experiencing. I don't know that I can give you any advice or suggestions as what to do, but I do know that I can listen or "read" about what you are going through. I do know how much writing or journaling does to help in whatever any of us are experiencing. I used to teach English to high school students and I do know that writing does wonders. So write about what you're feeling. I'll be glad to read and give you my 2 cents worth and encourage you in whatever you think about doing whether it's about your health or life in general. I'm an old grandmother by the way - or at least this year I'm beginning to feel old. (ha) Keep pushing that VA to get you what you need. It is true that the squeakiest bolt gets oiled. And a simple thank you always seems inadequate for those of you who have served in the military, but sometimes the simple things in life are the best - so "thank you."

MsCripple responded:
I am severely disabled and have been using an electric wheelchair for a long time. I know that the transition to using equipment in your life is very difficult and made more so when your environment is not accessible. And add to that the pain you must be in. I live in pain and luckily have found med's that make life bearable, but not stoned. I would suggest the local center for Independent living, a peer advocate, a person who has and is living with the same or a similar disability can be working these thing through with you. Please do not see yourself and someone who is less then what they had before, you are not broken, you are a valuable person and you have a lot to give. I do suggest an electric wheelchair with good seating, it does help the pain from sitting in a bad position and pushing a chair is incredible painful process. If you need help, the Vt. Center for Independent Living knows how to find me. I would like to help and support you as much a possible. Hang in there and ROLL ON!!!!!

angiereamLMHC responded:
I have been a wheelchair user for about 12 years now. Like you probably, I can walk, but it's excruciating to do so s lot of the time. I had started using a walker, but found that it only slowed me down, and my kids (ranged 5-10y o at the time) would hit the doors of Wallyworld or other large store, and *scatter*! I now use a power chair, because I am a big woman and using the manual chair started killing my shoulders. I call it "treating my pain with physics instead of chemistry." My advice to you would be: 1)KEEP on advocating for yourself, for actual treatment instead of just pills that mask symptoms rather than treating underlying causes. Anti-inflammatory medications help, and if your doctors recommend antidepressants, don't think they are just saying your pain is all in your head. They really do work, because chronic pain uses up certain chemicals in your brain, which WILL depression, even if your life is otherwise perfect, (finances, job, relationships...).2) If you do get prescribed narcotic medications, make sure you aren't medicating emotional pain rather than just physical pain- that is the way that leads to addiction. 3)Ask the social workers at your VA clinic about resources for chronic pain/illness, such as support groups, individual counseling, pain management clinics (NOT "pill mills"), prescription assistance programs, etc that's what they are there for. 4) If your situation is combat-related, find out information on "Wounded Warrior" programs, and even if it's not, they are usually welcoming to any veteran with physical issues. 5)And finally, get connected to others in your community either through church/religious groups, hobby-related groups, whatever lets you have fun. Staying at home because you are in pain is OK short term, but if you are going to be in pain anyway, might as well have a decent time doing it. A friend told me, when I first started down this road, "I can do anything I want to do, it just depends on how much pain I wanna be in later!" (Sometimes it's worth a few more aches & pains to have fun for a bit.) I hope this helps, and God Bless!

SALGLA responded:
I READ ARTICLES STATING CERTAIN FOODS CAN CAUSE MORE SWELLING WITH ARTHRITIS. IT STATED POTATOES
BREAKDOWN & CAN CAUSE A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN
SWELLING. HAVE U LOOKED INTO SEEING IF YOU CAN QUALIFY FOR MEDICAID OR HELP THRU THE COUNTY?
PAIN MGMT & A SUPPORT GROUP CAN POSSIBLY BE A GREAT HELP. I'M IN A W/CHAIR AS WELL FOR MANY YRS DUE TO OTHER DEGENERATIVE CONDITION & KNOW ITS
LIFE CHANGING BUT DONT GIVE UP& SURROUND YOURSELF W/ POSITIVE SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE.

Anon_39762 responded:
do you have tricare?
I live in sc and our va contracts with local orthopedists wich who it sounds you need to see. how did this happend? you are very young for this, have you been tested for rhuematoid? have you tried cymbalta? you can try eating bing cherries, fresh or dried(they have them at wal-mart in the bagged dried fruit section). you can also try glucosamine chondroitin with msm, avacado asu, moist heating pad. if you can go somewhere with heating swimming pool to exercise that would help get you more mobile. speaking of which have you tried the therapy department? Diathermy treatment might help. you also can try capscian creme(hot pepper creme(zostrix creme) it won't treat the arthritis but it may help mas the pain(if you can tolerate it. try a dab of it after any heat application as if you put heat on after it will really "fire you up". try to exercise even tho it hurts cause it will prevent getting muscle and ligament contractures. try to at least stand up several times a day or weight shift a LOT or you can end up with pressure sores.

lovesweinerdogs responded:
Hi Brittany! I am Dawn, a 55 year old Army vet who also has severe degenerative joint issues. I am not confined to a wheelchair yet but that is not too far in my future. So see, you are not alone! You'd be amazed how many Americans are in the same or a similar situation.

Shirmart is correct-squeak long and loud.With a system as big as the VA, things will inevitably fall through the cracks. I have had four primary doctors, two cardiologists and two neurologists in the last two years so it can be pretty frustrating.

When things get all gray and sad, come talk to us-we all have room for you! We've all been where you are at-we may not have all the answers but you couldn't find a better group to pour out your heart to.

God bless and hang in there!

shirmart replied to lovesweinerdogs's response:
See Brittany, there are those of us that do care. Always remember that. We may not all be in your situation, but we do care. Keep squeaking and it sounds like those who have replied have some experience in getting some things done. So try out their suggestions. Keep us all posted on your endeavors. And again I will say thank you for your service. I hope you never get tired of hearing that because I'll keep on telling you.

juanitam responded:
would very much like to talk to you i live with the same things its good to vent things out would you call me 5408775247 juanita

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.