Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Hip Bursitis
    An_244244 posted:
    I am 64 and have dealt with hip bursitis for about 20 years, but in the last few years it has gotten much worse. I can't sit for long, riding in the car is excruciating. I sleep if I knock myself out with Ambien but wake up in a lot of pain. Exercise hurts...just about everything hurts.
    I've been to internists, orthopedics and chiropractors. I take Mobic every day, have had injections which last about 2 months, wear foot levelers if they fit in my shoes. Nothing works.
    I'm thinking of going to a pain management doctor soon. Would that be the best kind of doctor to see? What specialty doctor seems to be the best? I just want a doctor that takes me seriously and acts like he/she understands the kind of pain I have.
    A storm is coming and that makes me hurt worse.
    _swank_ responded:
    If you want pain management then see a pain management specialist. If you want someone that can fix it then see an orthopedic surgeon. An internest can't help you and I would never recommend a chiropractor. They can't do anything for you either. An ortho can remove the bursa.
    hospitalitygirl replied to _swank_'s response:
    I detailed all my symptoms to one orthopedic I went to and his response was "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" Very sarcastic. I responded that he was the doctor and I thought he might have some ideas. He gave me an injection that didn't work and I didn't go back.
    _swank_ replied to hospitalitygirl's response:
    So if the first ortho doc was an idiot try another one. There are thousands of great ones out there. Cortisone injections are what most doctors will try first. Unfortunatly, they don't always work. My friend, who is a physical therapist, says that hip bursitis responds best to ultrasound, the kind you get at the physical therapist.

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.