Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Facing another surgery
Winterone13 posted:
I am 60 years old and have been dealing with the effects of
osteoarthritis since my late 20's. I am now facing my third neck
surgery and my second hip replacement. I feel that for the past 40
years I have done nothing but patch myself up so that I could return to work and to anyone who works with these problems am so tired after work that there is little or no time to do anything to help myself to deal with pain and mobility. My question is at what point to you give in and retire? I only see my condition worsening the older I get.

georgia888 responded:
If you feel you could easily occupy your day, then I say retire sooner rather than later. Work can be therapeutic by occupying our thoughts with things other than our pain. However, osteoarthritis is a progressive condition & you want to be able to enjoy time off while you are still mobile.

I have fibro with osteoarthritis & retired at 56. Managing my conditions is a full-time job. Sitting 8 hours a day at work had become unbearable for me. I now visit the warm water pool at the gym every morning & throughout the day stretch & perform light excercises. I love to read & putter around the house & yard. I'm careful at pacing my activities by not over-doing anything.

Best of luck with your decision. Listen to your gut.

georgia

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

what should i do
sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.