Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No Pain On Left Hip yet Dics advise hip replacement
An_244537 posted:
I was diagnosed with acute synovitis in my left hip for which I went for an open-hip surgery six months ago...Before undergoing operation I could walk but had acute pain in my left hip.However post-operation I am unable to walk without crutches,I regret going for the operation.Now,though I do not have any pain in my hip,the ortho advised me to go for hip replacement which did come as a shock for me as I never had a history of joint problems before undergoing for the operation.Now I am at loss as to whether I should go for the hip replacement as I do not have any pain in my hip except for stiffness,I would also like to know whether I am not able to walk on my legs as I have not regained muscle strength,or is there a possibility that the nerve on my hip could have got damaged.You know I am at complete lost as I was walking before the operation, I also believe that the infection on my hip joint could have been cured by high dose of antibiotic or injection but the doctors operated on me and now I cannot walk without crutches.Going for open hip surgery was a big mistake....

georgia888 responded:
I'm sorry to hear of your suffering. I would get a second opinion (& maybe even a third) before proceeding with further treatment.

Do you think you may need to give yourself more time to heal before getting off the crutches? Have you had any physical therapy?

Pain from an arthritic hip might not always be in the hip area. It can refer to the groin, knee, and/or back. Have x-rays been taken of that hip?

I always recommend warm water therapy in a pool for joint and/or other musculoskeletal issues. It has greatly helped me with flexibility & mobility.

Best of luck to you.
georgia

_swank_ responded:
I agree with Georgia. Replacing a joint that is not painful does not make any sense. You should never have major surgery without going for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Get more if you can. You need to take part in your own medical care and not just blindly do what one doctor tells you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

pain relief with cod liver oil and orange juice
I have heard from 2 ladies that taking cod liver oil 1 Tab in orange juice over a long period of time releaved their osteoarthritis pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.