Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is the worst part about having OA?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Next week, we'll talk about the other side of the coin but, for this week, I'm wondering what - for you - is the worst part about having Osteoarthritis? You can list as many things as you want.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

georgia888 responded:
Hello Caprice,
Seeing as you aren't limiting our "complaints," the following is what I consider to be the worst aspects of OA:
1) pain
2) stiffness
3) impaired mobility
4) inability to do what I once could with ease
5) easily fatiqued
6) fear of it progressing
7) fear of losing independence

Thank you for inspiring good discussions.

georgia

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to georgia888's response:
Thank you, Georgia. I expect your list would be shared by many others here, particularly #4, 6 and 7.

Wouldn't it be nice if life were just a wee bit easier?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

nowonderland responded:
Constant pain, unable to do what I used to do with ease, feeling older than I am, fear of losing my independence.

ratfink52 responded:
Is knowing you have it, your doctors know you have it and want an Mri done to see how bad it is or gotten but the Insurance company denies it because they say in is not necessary!

TaniaScott responded:
I'm 39 yrs old. Were diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 5. Had a knee replacement at 37 and late phase OA everywhere else. For me worst things are:
1) Loosing your independancy - I still do way more than what I should but with great effort.
2) Putting my family through all of the issues resulting from the medication and operations.
3) Frustration because you don't have the energy you should have.
4) Coping in a corporate life at work. Some clients have stairs - that's a chalange.
5) Irritability because of pain and discomfort.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to nowonderland's response:
Hi Nowonderland,

Sounds like 'losing my independence' is a big one for many. I know I fear the same.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to ratfink52's response:
Hmmmph! I'm annoyed for you, Ratfink! Sheesh. I hope you manage to get that MRI after all.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to TaniaScott's response:
It is frustrating, isn't it, Tania?!

And you bring up a good point.. the difficulty of balancing making a living with having chronic pain, etc.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Total hip replacement for OA
I was uncertain and quite frightened by the thought of having a total hip replacment for my osteoarthritic hips, the right being worse than ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.