Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
May is Arthritis Awareness Month!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
What do you wish others around you understood about what it's like for you every day living with OA?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

shortening responded:
The most frustrating thing for me is that my five siblings think I'm being lazy, but what's really happening is I am losing mobility and in constant pain. I have posted here, but it's been a long time since I have been on this site. I was diagnosed at age 17 with degenerative arthritis and am now almost 59. It is genetic on both sides of my family. I've had to adjust by doing things differently, using assisted devices and I now use my rollator all of the time. I'm very obese, which doesn't help and that's all I ever hear is "if you'd just get the weight off you'd feel so much better". Easier said than done. I finally sat down and gave them a picture of what a day in my life is like; some have changed their thinking and the rest are still nagging constantly. I've learned to get rid of the toxic people in my life who can't be supportive and understanding. I am making the most of my life as I am able. Until someone walks a mile in your shoes they don't understand what it's like to live like I and many others do.

Shortening

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to shortening's response:
So true, Shortening, about walking a mile in your shoes.

Welcome back here.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Arthritis in foot
I have had severe arthritis in my right foot for over 4 years now. In 2006, I had cortisone shots and they worked for awhile. Now I just ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.