Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Glucosamine Chondroitin
georgia888 posted:
The effectiveness of Glucosamine Chondroitin remains questionable & I'd like to hear others comments on this. I've been taking it for years now in hopes of it helping yet it's hard to measure its effectiveness. I recently was away for a week & brought some other supplements along with me but decided against bringing the Glucosamine due to its size (they are too big for my pill case). I have mild OA in my right knee & did notice worse pain & stiffness after the trip. I did more walking than usual while away & also wasn't swimming every day as I usually do, so it's possible that these factors were involved as well.

I'm debating whether or not to buy another supply once I run out. It seems since I've gone back to it, my knee has improved. I have read where it may be more effective for the knees than other joints. As is the case with most of us, I have other suffering joints as well.

Comments are always appreciated! Has anyone tried Flexoprin or any other supplements for the joints?

Thank you,
georgia

garenad responded:
Georgia, a friend has similar issues with his knees caused mainly by overweight and active life, mostly squash.
In addition to Glucosamine and Chondroitin he takes Omega 3-6-9 it appears to give some relief but no cure.

merryann2 responded:
Like you I've taken g/c for years. I believe it does help. A few years ago, I stopped taking it just to see if I could tell a difference. After two weeks I returned to my regimen. I only take one pill a day(750 mg g/600 mg C) My biggest effort to help my joints is to ensure I get ample omega-3s. I have followed an EPA/GLA regimen for about five years. Before, I took several aleve most days. Now, I almost never need pain relievers, the exception being after extra strenuous activities. Weight control is crucial, and I also seem to do better if I limit intake of certain foods.

tarzan80 responded:
It was highly effective for me. I could hardly walk. But it does take time. 1500 mgs daily for 6 months on, then 6 months off, And after 5 years I had no more problems

thenittygritty responded:
Glucosamine really works for my husband. It helps me, too. Your residual inflammation could be due to an iodine deficiency. Iodine deficiency is common and causes numerous physical and mental conditions, so iodine is a good thing to get educated about in any case. After making sure your multiple supplement has iodine in it, you might look into adding 1 tablet of Biospec's Selenidine daily (with a meal). One tablet has 1 milligram of iodine as well as 70 micrograms of its necessary compliment selenium. Your multiple will likely supply the other complimentary nutrients. (I was shocked to find one multiple having 100 mg of iodine daily without making any comment about it. That much iodine daily for more than 2 weeks might cause permanent thyroid damage. So do be familiar with your multiple. You don't want more than 400 mcg of selenium, either.) And of course look into the possibility of any drug interactions first, etc. If all is well, remember to check your resting pulse occasionally to make sure the iodine does not elevate it to unhealthy levels. If taking it during the day elevates your pulse too much, you might try taking it with dinner. At this low dose, it may take 5 years to correct a deficiency, but it's safer and more tolerable to start slow. (Among other things, I'm currently taking one 12 mg Optimox Iodoral daily with GNC's twice daily multiple Ultra Mega without iron, which, among other things, contains 200 mcg selenium.) Happy trails!

dollbug responded:
Hello Georgia....MiMi in NC....have you tried other brands of the joint supplements? I know that I have tried several different kinds and some are better for me than others....I take the Osteo Bi Flex....they have several different kinds also...I take the pink label which has the MSM and the orange label which has the Vitamin D in it....I can miss one dose and *feel* the pain....I have also had the synvisc injections several times...(they have lasted over 2 years for me)...

I have been on this brand for a long time...as it has been so good for me...

I have had 4 right knee surgeries over the years due to a knee accident...and I was told when I had it that I would eventually have to have a knee replacement in the future...

I hope you can find something that will help you...because I know just how much pain I have had to deal with over the years..

Take care...and good luck.

MiMi

georgia888 replied to dollbug's response:
Hi MiMi,
As always, thank you for your insightful input!

I think I'm going to experiment with a different brand & my first test will be with your recommendation, Osteo Bi Flex.

I'll keep you posted with the results.

Thanks again,
georgia

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

karen
I'm 55 and have had osto for about 10 years. I use a cream called Valtaren works really great. I put it on first thing in the morning ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.