Skip to content
Glucosamine & Chondroitin
curiouspat posted:
About ten (yes 10) years ago my husband's chiropractor advised glucosamine for our painful arthritic joints, especially the knees. There were no combos with brand names around then, just a generic glucosamine, and it was quite inexpensive, and worth a try. It helped hubby some, but helped me a lot. As time went by and all the big pharma houses hopped on the bandwagon of profit, expensive versions became available. We tried a couple just to see if we were missing something. We weren't; the generic worked for me just as well as the fancy brands. Paul was not so sure, and with the Bush fiasco our retireent funds were disappearing rapidly so we tried giving it up. Paul didn't see much difference "well, maybe a tiny bit," but I really missed it big time. So we started checking around with other "Old" friends (we are mostly in our 70s and 80s). The verdict was, it doesn't help everybody, so try the off and on test, and if you are one of the lucky ones it helps, keep it up. If it doesn't make a significant difference, save your pennies. But imagine, a generic that works just as well as the costly brand names! (Don't tell big pharma; they might come after me.) But consider this, it means I do not have to have the knee surgery I was coming to need! That's big time savings of money and grief, right? Great grandmother Pat

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.